Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Better Spaceceaft  (Read 29371 times)

Monkyman

Better Spaceceaft
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
We all think that Universe Sandbox is great but the most annoying thing about the game for me is the fact that the space stations are blocks with planet skins on them. I think that a simple silver tube with two solar panels would be great ;D ;D ;D. I am curious to see if you guys agree with me! ::)

Monkyman Out!!

Ramierez

Re: Better Spaceceaft
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
Well I think the limitation on that is actually having the models to do it. 

It's also one of the things that I think the community is best-geared to assist with since Dan is essentially doing all this solo.  Things like probe/craft models for current real spacecraft...maybe even submission of higher res texture packs or additional ones for some of the missing moons.  Heck, maybe even a few asteroids models so they don't all look like the moon.

I really think that stuff like that is perfect for the community to pool together on, though it would be great to bring as many standard ones as possible into the main client as an update.

ChemicalBR0

• flying is just falling without hitting the ground
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
I've got a HUGE library of spaceship models, most of which i created myself.
from star wars to star treck via real life spacecraft and babylon 5

I'd gladly donate the odd hubble, ISS or tardis to the cause :)

just the other night i finished importing a babylon 5 space station into sandbox. which is correct in scale to the show.
(5 miles long.)

i've also done 6 different asteroid models (i hated the spherical asteroids too, so did these just a few days after getting US)

sandbox is a bit limited texture wise as it only allows 1 texture per object and as far as i can see it uses spherical mapping coords which is only really good for wrapping stuff onto your balls 8)

ashley_au

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »
We all think that Universe Sandbox is great but the most annoying thing about the game for me is the fact that the space stations are blocks with planet skins on them. I think that a simple silver tube with two solar panels would be great ;D ;D ;D. I am curious to see if you guys agree with me! ::)

Monkyman Out!!

While I've not yet attempted use any of these models, NASA makes numerous resources available for download here http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/models.html

Apologies to the uncredited forum member from whom I got this link.

Puddin

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
I've been working on ships to add to the game.  As of now I'm working on a Terran set ships and a bunch of ships from the the Homeworld series.

Just need help figuring a few other things out like adding them to the icon bar and changing the skybox textures.

Medevila

• Valve Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »

Monkyman Out!!

While I've not yet attempted use any of these models, NASA makes numerous resources available for download here http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/models.html

Apologies to the uncredited forum member from whom I got this link.

I'm all for using the official NASA models! Can they be used in a commercial product? If so, someone needs to get a suggestion up on the spreadsheet.

Puddin

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
Here are the terms and conditions for their content.

NASA still images; audio files; video; and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format, generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video, audio, and data files used for the rendition of 3-dimensional models for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits, computer graphical simulations and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.

This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA-sponsored.

NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material except in cases of advertising. See NASA Advertising Guidelines.

If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services. If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. Any questions regarding application of any NASA image or emblem should be directed to:

Photo Department
NASA Headquarters
300 E St. SW
Washington, DC 20546
Tel: 202-358-1900
Fax: 202-358-4333

Linking to NASA Web Sites

NASA Web sites are not copyrighted, and may be linked to from other Web sites, including individuals' personal Web sites, without explicit permission from NASA. However, such links may not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services.

NASA images may be used as graphic "hot links" to NASA Web sites, provided they are used within the guidelines above. This permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia, the retired NASA logotype or the NASA seal.

NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material except in cases of advertising. See NASA Advertising Guidelines.

Restrictions

As a government entity, NASA does not license the use of NASA materials or sign licensing agreements. The agency generally has no objection to the reproduction and use of these materials (audio transmissions and recordings; video transmissions and recording; or still and motion picture photography), subject to the following conditions:

NASA material may not be used to state or imply the endorsement by NASA or by any NASA employee of a commercial product, service, or activity, or used in any manner that might mislead. Please see NASA Advertising Guidelines and Merchandising Guidelines for more information.
    It is unlawful to falsely claim copyright or other rights in NASA material.
    NASA shall in no way be liable for any costs, expenses, claims, or demands arising out of the use of NASA material by a recipient or a recipient's distributees.
    NASA does not indemnify nor hold harmless users of NASA material, nor release such users from copyright infringement, nor grant exclusive use rights with respect to NASA material.
    NASA material is not protected by copyright unless noted. If copyrighted, permission should be obtained from the copyright owner prior to use. If not copyrighted, NASA material may be reproduced and distributed without further permission from NASA.
    If a recognizable person, or talent (e.g., an astronaut or a noted personality engaged to narrate a film) appears in NASA material, use for commercial purposes may infringe a right of privacy or publicity. Therefore, permission should be obtained from the recognizable person or talent. If the proposed use of the NASA material could be viewed as a commercial exploitation of that person. However, if the intended use of NASA material is primarily for communicative purposes, i.e., books, newspapers, and magazines reporting facts of historical significance (constitutionally protected media uses), then such uses will generally be considered not to infringe such personal rights.
    Some NASA audiovisual material may incorporate music or footage, which is copyrighted and licensed for the particular NASA work. Any editing or otherwise altering of the work may not be covered under the original license, and therefore would require permission of the copyright owner.
    NASA audiovisual material may include visible NASA identifiers (e.g., the name of the vehicle and the NASA Insignia or Logotype in photographs or film footage of Space Shuttle vehicles). Use of such materials is generally non-objectionable, provided the NASA identifiers appear in their factual context.

In other words If the models contain the NASA logo then no.  It will have to be user created.  As long as there is no mention of NASA then I don't see why not.

karakris

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
Hmmm - Spacecraft are a bit different in my Universe or "Krissyverse"

We started in 2130 with new FTL - and it is now 2137 and we are in a WAR which will run for maybe a Century or more, if we win.  If we lose, we will all be Slaves or Dead.

We design our own Star Ships - DDs, Frigates, Cruisers of various types, BC, BB, SBB 22 Km long, XSBB 45Km x 15 Km.
ATM building two Super Battle Stations with FTL Drives - "egg shaped", 600 Km globular - but pointier at one end.

No one has done any Pics of them, never mind 3D Models. Out of our 16 Players, no one is that clever.
I do have Autocad 2006 - but only 2D, and to do the Ships in 2D is a big long job.
I am too busy as a Player - and as G.M.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »
If someone can create or point me to a generic squarish space craft model and texture I'll add that as the generic space craft model in a future update.

Point me to the website that hosts the file so I can be sure the licensing requirements are met.

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
Dan if you can give a better idea of what you mean by generic squarish spaceship :) (a little sketch would be great)
I'll model one for you and you can include it with no license restrictions

no doubt i'll have something in my library already that fits what you want.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Perhaps just a simple square satellite style object. Something simple with a single texture.

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
no probs.
I'll make something over the weekend

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
What about a cube with two smaller cubes on either side and a rod through the whole thing?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
Perhaps a satellite like object, but without the solar panels (in order to simplify the collision volume).

It should be very close in shape to a cube.

DenisineD

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »
I did try to upload this space station in the game (wich is far from been complete)...But it make my US to bug and block...lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:20:14 PM by DenisineD »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
bug and block? What do you mean?

You need to scale any object to have a "radius" of 1 unit from it's center in order to scale correctly in Universe Sandbox.

DenisineD

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »
Bug and block...well the game freeze and i can t do anything anymore lol

Scale the ship to one unit like? because (for now) from the top to the bottom it is 1708 meters.

Bullethead

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
It seems to me that spaceships and US don't exactly mix.  US' time scales are for nothing smaller than moons orbiting planets every few days.  Under these conditions, spacecraft wouldn't appear to move much if at all.  And if you speed things up to watch the spaceship move, you're bound to throw any short-period moons into the void.

So to me if you want to fly spaceships around, get Orbiter.

Best of both worlds....  Import star systems made in US into Orbiter.  If I knew anything about how to do that, I'd have done it already :).

DenisineD

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:14 AM »
I know i did creat a kind of space station that act like an orbiter, it aint a space craft but still i can t load it in US....or maybe if i would wait an hour or something... lol

I ll try to make a simple box to see if i can load it in US if i can.... i ll upload a pic

DenisineD

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58:03 AM »
I tried a simple square with 2 smaller squares and it doesnt work :(

I did export it from Sketch up into a 3ds file and still it make my universe sandbox to bug and i can t quit it...i have to restart my computer...lol

I don t know what i m doing wrong...i put the 3ds file into my document media file of US...

Or is it the fact that i group the 3d object in sketch up mod? because lol i don t know whats wrong.

DenisineD

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »
...or when i put the 3ds object...do i need to use a planet and in the Model section write the name of the object?

Model: Shiptest1.3ds
?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 01:08:17 AM »
I think so

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
real sorry it's taken me so long (real life getting in the way)

but will this do?
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7a8ecb0c7c5330e9#!/?cid=7a8ecb0c7c5330e9&sc=photos&nl=1&uc=1&id=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9!307!cid=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9&id=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9!308&sc=photos
or is it too heavy on the polygons (I don't think any p.c capable of running sandbox would have trouble with 2003 extra polys)

EDIT: I just noticed Dan that you said without solar panels (2 second job to remove them if need be)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:00:01 PM by ChemicalBR0 »

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
DenisineD
can you export to OBJ?  I've not been able to import 3ds either but OBJ seems to work without problems.

you could also try this
http://my.opera.com/geekie/blog/2008/12/16/3ds-2-x-format-converter

it will convert from 3ds to X format (direct X model format)
X import definitely works.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
@DenisineD
Can you share the 3DS file that is causing a problem?

@ChemicalBR0
And I like the version with the solar panels (even though that's not what I said). So save a copy of that one. But, yeah, that looks great.

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
Dan I'm sorry if I took some artistic liberties, once i started I kind of got carried away. :-\

if you would prefer its very easy to remove the panels and dish

DenisineD

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 11:39:45 PM »
Dan here s the shiptest1...thats the small ship made of 3 box. Maybe its the fact that i m grouping my objects in sketch up :/

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »
Dan do you want me to send you this model?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
real sorry it's taken me so long (real life getting in the way)

but will this do?
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7a8ecb0c7c5330e9#!/?cid=7a8ecb0c7c5330e9&sc=photos&nl=1&uc=1&id=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9!307!cid=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9&id=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9!308&sc=photos
or is it too heavy on the polygons (I don't think any p.c capable of running sandbox would have trouble with 2003 extra polys)

EDIT: I just noticed Dan that you said without solar panels (2 second job to remove them if need be)

Dang, that's an epic model! :)

ChemicalBR0

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
it 's hardly what I'd call epic but thanks anyway (it took half an hour at most)

here's a few I would consider epic :)
(all modeled/rendered in Lightwave)

just click the thumbs at the bottom of the page to see the others

https://skydrive.live.com/?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=904263492#!/?cid=7a8ecb0c7c5330e9&sc=documents&uc=3&id=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9!279!cid=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9&id=7A8ECB0C7C5330E9!312&sc=documents
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:41:44 PM by ChemicalBR0 »