Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: White screen tearing ruins game.  (Read 6928 times)

Fartsicle

White screen tearing ruins game.
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I believe Im getting too many FPS which is causing screen tearing. I hate to force vsync  through my graphics control panel. When I turn on my FPS I'm getting 400-900 even with alot of objects. It's hard experimenting because I have to add so many bodies to get low FPS which does not tear my screen. Basically, it's a poor testing environment. Any way to mod a text file to cap the FPS?

Win 7 64
16 Gig dominator ram
Hexacore processor @ 4Ghz each
Radeon 5870 2gb
Fatality audio card

Stevodoran

Re: White screen tearing ruins game.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
First of all does your graphics card not have an fps limit, but if not i vote for this feature to cap the frame-rate.

Fartsicle

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
Sure, I can force vsync through the control panel, but it will do that now for ALL my games, which can negatively effect performance in other titles I play. I could also create a specific profile which is a pain... but that shouldn't be necessary. That's why I was hoping for a simple text edit solution.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
I'll add a V-sync checkbox in the next update. That should only be a 15 minute project.

However the quick addition will slow down the simulation processing speed for simple simulations that would run much faster (like the Earth & Moon), when it's checked.

I'll investigate a capped frame rate option that won't slow down the simulation in the future, but that will take more time.

Fartsicle

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
Thank you sir, you are most kind  ;D

muzzdeni

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »
I have found that turning create impact marks off, in the options menu prevents white tearing, and pressing the delete impact marks removes it all together.

Is there a problem with the placement of impact textures?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
I've never seen this happen to it's hard for me to say why this is happening. Could someone with this problem take some video of it and send it to me?

(even just pointing your phone or camera at the screen and taking a short video would be helpful)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:13:42 AM by Dan Dixon »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the video. That was interesting.

And to be clear... this will go away if you delete impact marks?