Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Error Writing File" when saving a simulation.  (Read 9393 times)

Spero

"Error Writing File" when saving a simulation.
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:24:40 AM »
Hi, I just got Universe Sandbox on Steam today. As an amateur sci-fi writer / astrophysics enthusiast, this program is a godsend to me! However, when trying to save a simulation of a solar system I've created I get a message that says "Error Writing File" and it won't save my simulation. This only happens after the first save and I'm curious as to whether I am doing something that makes the simulation unsavable. Has anyone else had this problem. This program really helps me visualize the fictional solar systems I've created and I'd love to keep using it for that purpose.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: "Error Writing File" when saving a simulation.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
After you get that error again can you send me the 3 log files...

(My) Documents\Universe Sandbox\Logs
... and also email the link to this page:
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php?topic=3486

That will help identify the problem so I can fix it in an upcoming build.

I may also be able to tell you what you've done to fix the problem in the short term.

That shouldn't happen. Are you out of hard disk space?

Spero

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Now I'm not having the problem at all, go figure. Not sure what I did differently but the problem seems to have resolved itself, everything is working great now.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Well... if you ever see it again... I'd love to see your log files so I can make sure no one else has this problem. Thanks for reporting the problem.

pantelis31

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
I'm an astrophysics passionate too and i also have the same problem. The difference is that I've had it all along. I have steam version  and i 'd really want to fix it. Just tell me what to do. Appreciate the help
The log files are sandbox log, actions log and engine log.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
Do you get this problem every time?

What if you load "Earth & Moon" and then save it after loading it? Does that generate an error?

It shouldn't be doing that. If you can send me the log files (after you've seen the error), that might be helpful in determining the cause of the problem.

pantelis31

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
earth and moon don't save at all. I've sent you the files. Hope they're helpful
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:17:52 PM by pantelis31 »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
Okay, Engine Log should definitely NOT be 2.6 megabytes.

Mavekiller74

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
I have the same problem i made a BIGGG system then after i made it i suddenly noticed that i cant safe the file and 3hours of work were gone i reinstall it on steam and nothing happend its still the same problem i tried to run as a admin .... restart pc .. etc please help  :(

unl0cker

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »
Sounds like something is corrupted, or simply the old big n bad bug.

05-29-2011 00:06:43 | TEXTURE MANAGER : Couldn't find the texture 'Wolf 359 - icon.dds' in the texture list.
05-29-2011 00:06:43 | TEXTURE MANAGER : Couldn't find the texture 'Sirius - icon.dds' in the texture list.
05-29-2011 00:06:43 | TEXTURE MANAGER : Couldn't find the texture 'Polaris - icon.dds' in the texture list.
05-29-2011 00:06:43 | TEXTURE MANAGER : Couldn't find the texture 'Alderamin - icon.dds' in the texture list.
05-29-2011 00:06:43 | TEXTURE MANAGER : Couldn't find the texture 'VY Canis Majoris - icon.dds' in the texture list.
05-29-2011 00:06:43 | TEXTURE MANAGER : Couldn't find the texture 'Pollux - icon.dds' in the texture list.

And because of that...

UI2: Error writing file: C:\Users\petros.Παντελής-PC\Documents\Universe Sandbox\Simulations\My System - 20110529-000722.ubox

Maybe just a steam related bug...