Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Custom galaxies?  (Read 9002 times)

totalforge

Custom galaxies?
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:58:52 PM »
Can we edit or create new and custom galaxies?  Set how many particles/stars they have?

I tripped over some controls for editing a ring at one point, that let me set how many particles, and of course now I can't find the thing. Only in the non-steam version possibly?

Small bug report, if you use the demo to render a movie, it loses track of time and will render a simulation for hours while only a couple of minutes of pro demo time have elapsed.   I used the demo to render 5000 frames.  ;D

Fun program, thank you!

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Custom galaxies?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Yes you can edit galaxies. You can just google or go to Hubblesite or similar places and download a picture of the galaxy. Face on galaxies are the best, because those are the ones that it will work with. Simply go to your Media folder (C:\Program Files\Universe Sandbox\Media), and find the pictures called "Galaxy-X", and replace it with the new one you had. Make sure the file names are exactly the same, and you rename the original and keep it.

Try the left option menu, it will be down towards the very bottom (scroll).

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
There's some examples of how custom galaxies look like in Universe Sandbox in here.

totalforge

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
I was looking for making custom galaxies like the ones in the galaxy collision preset - in 3D with lots of particles.  I can see the editing parameters for these items, but there does not seem to be a way to set the particle count, edit the shape, and so on. 

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:14:26 AM »
Particle Count? It's a particle multiplier... So if you set it to 3, it's 3 times more than normal... At least that's the way I understand it.

Are you still not finding the actual particle multiplier?

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:42 AM »
That's one big Milky Way you have there, NeutronStar. What did you set the diameter and dust multiplier to when making it? :P

And btw, the ring editing thing is here (see image).
I think a way of generating a custom galaxy with similar parameters could be an awesome feature. It isn't in the program yet, though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:40:17 AM by Bla »

totalforge

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »
Thanks very much for the help. Posting screens takes time, and I appreciate it.

justinpatrick1011

• Gliese 581g, my most favorite planet.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
That's one big Milky Way you have there, NeutronStar. What did you set the diameter and dust multiplier to when making it? :P

And btw, the ring editing thing is here (see image).
I think a way of generating a custom galaxy with similar parameters could be an awesome feature. It isn't in the program yet, though.
Dude, its not nice yet, it requires RING HEIGHT!