Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: import model question...  (Read 17830 times)

Fatarion

import model question...
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:44 AM »
Okay just purchased Universe Sandbox yesterday (from steam), been clicking around to acquaint myself with it and saw that once I either create a new planet or click on an existing one I have somewhere two options,

1. change texture of the planet,
2. import my model... so my questions are

1. what is a .dds file? how do I create some with my planetary textures? I have Photoshop and Corel draw... do I need another software package?
2. I have 3ds max and Maya for 3d modeling, are these compatible software packages and if yes what file format do I need to export my model(s) for sandbox to "see" them and import them? If these packages are not compatible please recommend a software package that will allow me to create models and import them into sandbox.
3. If we hypothesize that one of the above software packages are compatible then is there a limit on what kind of models will Sandbox recon? Do they have to be spheres for suns/planets or can I import i.e a human being and set it on an orbit around Earth?
4. Assuming I manage to import a model in Sandbox will sandbox allow me to start changing options or do I have to do something else before I am allowed by the program to change any options?
5.Is there a way inside Sandbox to create my own galaxies/stars/planets with or without textures ?
6.Is there a way to get models and/or textures of galaxies, etc from scientific web sites like NASA, etc? If yes do you know of any such web site url?

Thank you...
NSF.

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: import model question...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
1. A .dds file is a texture file, and the texture changer also uses .png and .jpeg (not sure about other files) in the Media folder in the Universe Sandbox folder in My Documents.

2. 3DS Max is okay, and maybe Maya too.

I can only answer two questions for now, you might want to talk to the advanced users (NeutronStar, Dan Dixon, Bla, etc.)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Textures and Model Q&A
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
1. what is a .dds file? how do I create some with my planetary textures? I have Photoshop and Corel draw... do I need another software package?

.dds is a DirectX image format, but you can use bmp, jpg, png, or tga files too. No need to convert it to a .dds file.

2. I have 3ds max and Maya for 3d modeling, are these compatible software packages and if yes what file format do I need to export my model(s) for sandbox to "see" them and import them? If these packages are not compatible please recommend a software package that will allow me to create models and import them into sandbox.

Universe Sandbox supports the import of .x files (another DirectX format) and .3ds (a standard 3D format).

3. If we hypothesize that one of the above software packages are compatible then is there a limit on what kind of models will Sandbox recon? Do they have to be spheres for suns/planets or can I import i.e a human being and set it on an orbit around Earth?

Yes. You can import any type of 3D model that's in the correct format. To get the correct scaling the model should be 2 units across, so a custom sphere would have a radius of 1. There's room for improvement in the scaling and size options in the interface.

4. Assuming I manage to import a model in Sandbox will sandbox allow me to start changing options or do I have to do something else before I am allowed by the program to change any options?

The model will import right away. Try typing 'dice' in the model box to instantly load a dice model.

5.Is there a way inside Sandbox to create my own galaxies/stars/planets with or without textures ?

You can create planets and stars, but the options for galaxies is currently very limited. However there is yet no way to save the created object to the icon bar.

6.Is there a way to get models and/or textures of galaxies, etc from scientific web sites like NASA, etc? If yes do you know of any such web site url?

Some of the textures and models from this site will be useful:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:48:17 AM by Dan Dixon »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
Sorry, I didn't read the 5th and 6th question when I PM'd you Fatarion.

It is very possible to create stars, planets, and galaxies with textures. Galaxies, I think are the easiest, because you can just google and image or as you asked, go to Hubblesite or similar places and download a picture of the galaxy. Face on galaxies are the best, because those are the ones that it will work with. Simply go to your Media folder (C:\Program Files\Universe Sandbox\Media), and find the pictures called "Galaxy-X", and replace it with the new one you had. Make sure the file names are exactly the same, and you rename the original and keep it.

Textures for planets are also easy, but the way I know to do it requires a modification of the XML file, which isn't that difficult. If you'd like to do it I'd be happy to explain.

Fatarion

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »
Please do!

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
You'll just simply go into the /My Documents/Universe Sandbox/Simulations folder and open one of the .ubox files with 7-zip or WinRar. Edit the XML and add <Appearance>texture.png</Appearance> save it, and run the simulation. Make sure texture.png (or whatever it is) is in the /My Documents/Universe Sandbox/Media folder (Not Program Files like the galaxy is).

Carnage2K4

• Faith Kicker
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
when I get time I intend to make some textures for non-earth habitable planets, Only just got the simulator off steam last night so I'm still playing around with it atm, but plans are forming in my head, and I have used DDS file in the past on games like Oblivion and UT2004.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
You'll just simply go into the /My Documents/Universe Sandbox/Simulations folder and open one of the .ubox files with 7-zip or WinRar. Edit the XML and add <Appearance>texture.png</Appearance> save it, and run the simulation. Make sure texture.png (or whatever it is) is in the /My Documents/Universe Sandbox/Media folder (Not Program Files like the galaxy is).

This isn't true as of 2.1 (the latest and 1st version on Steam). The XML format has changed and I haven't had time to properly document it. Save a simulation then use the File Tools panel to extract the UBOX file and check out the objects.xml file to see the new format.

And no fault of NeutronStar. I changed the format in 2.1 and didn't tell anyone.

Carnage2K4

• Faith Kicker
Re: Textures and Model Q&A
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
However there is yet no way to save the created object to the icon bar.

do you think this will become an available modding option in the future?
or is there a way for say a mod pack that uses only textures to create it's own additions to a planet or sun bar in the add tool?

I also see some interesting stuff in the XML files...
ribosome, hemoglobin, water molecule, up quark... o.O

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
do you think this will become an available modding option in the future?

Yes, but no idea when however.

or is there a way for say a mod pack that uses only textures to create it's own additions to a planet or sun bar in the add tool?

Something like that. Adding your own custom objects to icons list is something I'd like to do.

I also see some interesting stuff in the XML files...
ribosome, hemoglobin, water molecule, up quark... o.O

Nice catch. That's from some experiments I did a long time ago. I should finish that up and release it.

LeBob

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:05 AM »
Is there any way of adding models to the "Add Tool" area?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
Is there any way of adding models to the "Add Tool" area?

Not yet, but my plan is to expand the functionality to allow this in a future build (no idea when, however).

dhm794

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »