Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Speed of Light  (Read 4767 times)

Technotica

Speed of Light
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Hi!

I am new to the Universe Sandbox, just bought it from steam and am doing the 'Fun things to do' tutorial.

My problem is that when I click the Light Pulse button as instructed the whole thing slows down to 4fps and I do not see any light emanating. Is there an option I can change to make it run faster and show the light?

Thanks

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Speed of Light
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
You're probably zoomed in too much, and so it flies out of your view too quick. Try turning the timestep down to real time and/or zoom out.

Also, for whatever reason, your dust multiplier may be too high, possibly set on 25 like this other guy?

Chaotic Cow

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
Light pulse speed is very fast if time step is high. It is traveling at the speed of light so the slower time step will allow you see it.

Also as Neutron Star said, it's possible your dust multiplier is set too high.

Technotica

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
My dust multiplier is at 2.5, maybe thats still to high? I thought I had a relatively fast computer. I am at the standard view of the scenario and the time step is set to real time. I'll lower the dust multiplier, but there is only earth adn the moon in that scenario right? Is there any dust?

Thanks!

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
If you're running the sim real time, and you're on the default view, you should have no problem whatsoever seeing the light pulse.

Also, you may be looking for something else. If you've ever placed a geosynchronous ring around Earth, that is what you're looking for, a ring of white dust that shoots off into space. And you should try to just open the Earth & Moon sim without being in a tutorial just in case that is the problem.

Technotica

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Hmm now it worked several times and then slowed down again, I think its one of the options, I think the glow option is slowing my computer down during the light pulse.

I'll try toggling all the options and see what happens. Thanks!

Zamav

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
Light pulse doesn't disappear, it goes on forever. I don't know much about the game, but if particle count goes high, it might put a limit on it, or it may bug out while trying to calculate the movement of previous pulses. Go to settings menu and click the X icon near the "Create Dust" option to remove the particles, and try again.

Also, if you're trying to pulse near a black whole, it won't even appear. Haven't tried, but if the mass of planet are high enough, it might cause a glitch or something.