Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why can't I properly make a moon....?  (Read 6328 times)

secretempire1

Why can't I properly make a moon....?
« on: April 30, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
I pause the simulation, add a moon near a planet, resume the simulation, and all of a sudden, the moon is gone.  I zoom out only to find its nowhere near the planet, flying in a completely random direction.  I've tried adding in the moon during live simulations, and paused, and in edit mode, NOTHING works.  I tried to watch the tutorials, but it crashed the program.  Sometimes, it came up as an auto-orbit selection, while other times, it did not.  Just now, I tried to add a moon, I positioned it in the plane of the Earth's orbit, only a few hundred thousand km away.  But when I actually clicked my mouse to add it, it was added 3 AU away from the Earth.  For those who don't know, 3 AU = 449 million km, much more than my desired few hundred thousand km.

Speaking of auto orbit, why is it that sometimes if I create a star and then add in a planet, the auto orbit will come up.  Other times, the auto orbit will not come up, and it has severe trouble calculating where I want the planet to be.  Like I will click for the Earth to be a certain distance away from the sun, but instead, it will drop a straight line down, and place the Earth light years away from the sun?

This game seems to do what it wants, when it wants to, and I'm having trouble figuring out any rhyme of reason to how it works.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:31:49 PM by secretempire1 »

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: Why can't I properly make a moon....?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
It's possible that your timestep is too high. Doing that makes object fly away at high speeds.

PerfectDark

Re: Why can't I properly make a moon....?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »

Speaking of auto orbit, why is it that sometimes if I create a star and then add in a planet, the auto orbit will come up.  Other times, the auto orbit will not come up, and it has severe trouble calculating where I want the planet to be.  Like I will click for the Earth to be a certain distance away from the sun, but instead, it will drop a straight line down, and place the Earth light years away from the sun?

This game seems to do what it wants, when it wants to, and I'm having trouble figuring out any rhyme of reason to how it works.

This sounds quite similar to the problem reported here:

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,3406.0.html

After I uninstall & re-install it works once or twice then body placement just goes all wacky.