Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lagg  (Read 5885 times)

Xernox

Lagg
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
Hello,

First of all, I love this game. The things you can do is so awesome, but I got one problem - a huge one.
That is lagg. My computer is fairly new, a AMD Phenom II 955, 3.2Ghz x4 and GPU ATI 6950. First I thought it was my graphiccard, but i checked and it only ran at 15-20%.

It must be the CPU, even with checked multicores it still lags, I have 1 FPS when I got a galaxy, even with a regular solarsystem, and i add 500 objects in ring, it just laggs. (when i remove dust i get 40 fps again, but galaxy is dust so if i remove the dust i remove the galaxy)

This game is really awesome, but it has some fixes that needs to be handled, or else i can't use much of it.
I got the steam version btw.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: Lagg
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:13 AM »
What is the dust multiplier set to (in the advanced options ares in the simulation settings panel)? If you decrease it, there will be less particles and it'll run faster.

Xernox

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »
Thanks for quick reply!

Hehe, it was set to 25 (by default I think). I'll check if it runs faster now.
For the record, you guys should make a settings guide, tell what makes the game run better, or better graphics. Just a suggestion.

Also: The settings does not save, is that the point, or bug? It's annoying to change settings all the time.

EDIT: Yea now i can have two galaxies and still have 15 FPS, thanks :)

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
25? That must certainly have lagged. The default should be 1, though.

Only some of the settings save.

Zamav

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »
I can't help but wonder though. Why does CPU usage stays at 15-18% even though game is running at 1fps.

I got a 6 core phenom CPU and it should be able to handle it.

Game is running 20+ threads, but none of them seems to be above 3-4% except the main one.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
I think the fps relies mostly on your graphics card.

15 to 18% seems like it's fully utilizing one single of your 6 cores. Have you checked the multicore box in the simulation settings? It's a buggy feature, though.

Zamav

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
Well, it doesn't use my GPU at all.

I actually thought there was something wrong with the ATI driver activity report, but there isn't. Ie9 test drive page uses my gpu at 20% to 60% depending on the test. Universe Sandbox however, uses 0%, at all times.

My system specs:

Windows 7 x64 SP1
Phenom II 1055t CPU
6GB Ram
4830 GPU

Edit: Multithread option doesn't improve performance checked or unchecked. I am using the steam version of the game. I like the game a lot, I hope performance improvements will be made in future patches.

Xernox

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
I am experiencing a lot of the same as posted by Zamav.

NehNudd

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:14:11 AM »
Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem, and in order not to spam this thread I will post only a link inside leading to another thread on the forum, where I described how I managed to overcome that problem.

I hope it helps you too, and I hope it will help someone track down the issue in the software (if there is one).

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,3429.0.html