Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how did u make forest moon have clouds?  (Read 5297 times)

kurtx

how did u make forest moon have clouds?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
like i have many planet textures over 200 most from internet and most from celestia. but how did u give forest moon clouds? was it made whith it? if u want me to ill link some of the textures ive found. i have alot more that i would like to add earth clouds to but idk how.

ps i took 2 hours identifying and labeling the textures from 1 to 229 =)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: how did u make forest moon have clouds?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:03:45 AM »
You could try finding a cloud map, making the background color transparent and then putting it on top of the normal map. GIMP is a free program which can handle layers and apply transparency, I'd recommend using that (if you don't have a program to do it already).

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
I did it exactly like Bla explained. :)

Use the "Screen" blending mode in your paint program to overlay any of these cloud maps over your surface texture.

This article explains the different common blending modes:
http://emptyeasel.com/2008/10/31/explaining-blending-modes-in-photoshop-and-gimp-multiply-divide-overlay-screen/

And here's a list of 'realtime' cloud images of the Earth that you can also use:
http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php

Fatarion

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
I dunno if you are familiar with a software package called "Vue 9" from e-on? in that software you can create environments from rocks and plants to terrains and ecosystems, clouds, weather, etc, and it also has an option that will take your scene and "bend" it into a spherical planet, you then export the scene into a folder take the textures, import them into a singular file in Photoshop in different layers, and then export it or save it as a .dds file, with a tool download from nvidia... import on sandbox and you have your planet with atmosphere, clouds, terrain and anything else you want... seamless textures, bumps, normal maps, everything...