Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Error code KKAJN (Inexplicably resolved)  (Read 21558 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: [Steam] Universe Startup Problem (SOLVED)
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
Ah... I assumed Windows 7. Sorry.

Have you run any registry cleaners ever?

And you do have all the Windows Updates installed?

And you're running XP SP3?

Ahh... I wasn't paying attention to the error message. Move the messages to this thread with the same error message.

I uninstalled all the x86 VC2008 redists. And it worked.

Try that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:11:40 PM by Dan Dixon »

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »
Ah... I assumed Windows 7. Sorry.

Have you run any registry cleaners ever? no

And you do have all the Windows Updates installed? yes

And you're running XP SP3? yes

Ahh... I wasn't paying attention to the error message. Move the messages to this thread with the same error message.

I uninstalled all the x86 VC2008 redists. And it worked.

Try that.

i removed all four of the vc2008 redists i had installed.
no changes to universe sandbox.

but i do have to wonder now how many of my other games might be effected adversely by doing this...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:31:22 AM by DOOMJESUS »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Error code KKAJN (Inexplicably resolved)
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »

but i do have to wonder now how many of my other games might be effected adversely by doing this...

Now try installing them again. Two of them can be found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\universe sandbox\Prerequisites

And run the files that start with vcredist.

Does Universe Sandbox run now?

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

Now try installing them again. Two of them can be found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\universe sandbox\Prerequisites

And run the files that start with vcredist.

Does Universe Sandbox run now?

done, still no joy.

while i was there i also reinstalled dotnet4 to no avail...

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »
Is it still giving you the same error message?

Did you try creating a new windows user and then running Universe Sandbox under that user?

Have you ever run a registry cleaner?

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »
Is it still giving you the same error message? yes, situation unchanged.

Did you try creating a new windows user and then running Universe Sandbox under that user? no, but i don't want to.

Have you ever run a registry cleaner? no, but this is a very clean system, i have not found a need for it up to now.

i'm willing to try a few things to make this work but i'm not going to just do every random thing you ask of me and you already asked me this stuff.
i think it's going to be up to you all to solve this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:49:18 PM by DOOMJESUS »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
I'm not recommending anyone run a registry cleaner... The other user with this problem thinks this may have been what caused the problem. That's why I asked.

Can you try to create a new user and see if that fixes it?
You can delete the new user after you've tried running Universe Sandbox from there.
If it works... it will help to identity the cause of the problem.

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »
I'm not recommending anyone run a registry cleaner... The other user with this problem thinks this may have been what caused the problem. That's why I asked.

Can you try to create a new user and see if that fixes it?
You can delete the new user after you've tried running Universe Sandbox from there.
If it works... it will help to identity the cause of the problem.

if a shot in the dark is what it takes to make this game work, someone else can have that honor because i'm not willing to add another user to my user to my system, particularly if i am only going to delete it. this is why i don't require a registry cleaner and i don't intend to start using one now.

i'd like to play your game but i paid the fare, my job now is to play it, the burden of fixing it is on you guys. there appears to be no shortage of people with this issue so you shouldn't have a problem convincing someone else to try that.

here's what i'll do, i'll try to launch universe sandbox again in another month and if the issue hasn't been resolved by then, i will probably forget about this game, except of course to un-recommend it to my friends...

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »
I'm really sorry it's not working for you.

As far as I know, only you and one other person have had this problem and for him it turned out to be a DLL / registry issue.

I'm at a bit of a loss to help you solve this problem as I don't think any changes I can make on my end will help. I think the problem is with your computer's configuration.

Creating a new user will not mess up your computer. Let me know what happens if you try that.

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
as predicted, uninstalling those other versions of vc eroded my system, as soon as other games started getting updates i started getting problems, i got an update for black ops yesterday and now i get the incomplete installation number 2 error for which there is no cure other than reinstalling windows.

your game generated a very specific error message and i'd bet money that you could tell me what the problem really was if you wanted to but i will never play this game thanks to your help. i just wanted you to know that...

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
I am really sorry that it's not working for you. If I knew know how to fix your problem I would tell you. What motivation would I have for knowing the solution and not telling you?

While the error is specific and I see where in the code it is failing, it's not clear why it would fail there for you and not everyone else. It is calling on an external library, which has dependencies of its own and it's here that I think the problem lies.

This is also why I suggested creating a new user, which is a very safe, non-damaging thing to do in Windows and can correct configuration issues present in the current user profile you're using unsuccessfully.

---

I'm also sorry for the bad advice in uninstalling the VC Redistributable libraries. I should have at least suggested writing down what you were uninstalling (so you could re-install them). I suggested this because someone else with this error reported that as the solution. So I thought it was worth trying.

Someone else emailed me just a few days ago with this error, but restarting the computer fixed it for them.

---

Here are the links to re-install the three common VC Redistributables:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3387

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328

You should also make sure you have all the latest Windows Updates installed.
http://update.microsoft.com/

---

If you do re-install Windows I bet that will fix your problem. I'm quite certain your problem is a unique configuration issue and not a problem inherent in the Universe Sandbox code.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:29:43 PM by Dan Dixon »

DOOMJESUS

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »
I am really sorry that it's not working for you. If I knew know how to fix your problem I would tell you. What motivation would I have for knowing the solution and not telling you?

While the error is specific and I see where in the code it is failing, it's not clear why it would fail there for you and not everyone else. It is calling on an external library, which has dependencies of its own and it's here that I think the problem lies.

This is also why I suggested creating a new user, which is a very safe, non-damaging thing to do in Windows and can correct configuration issues present in the current user profile you're using unsuccessfully.

---

I'm also sorry for the bad advice in uninstalling the VC Redistributable libraries. I should have at least suggested writing down what you were uninstalling (so you could re-install them). I suggested this because someone else with this error reported that as the solution. So I thought it was worth trying.

Someone else emailed me just a few days ago with this error, but restarting the computer fixed it for them.

---

Here are the links to re-install the three common VC Redistributables:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3387

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328

You should also make sure you have all the latest Windows Updates installed.
http://update.microsoft.com/

---

If you do re-install Windows I bet that will fix your problem. I'm quite certain your problem is a unique configuration issue and not a problem inherent in the Universe Sandbox code.

i did not follow this advice but i did reinstall the game again, for the third time in as many months.

and now, yes, inexplicably, it works.

thanks anyhow...