Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 369126 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Politics
« Reply #420 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:01 AM »
We have bike paths around here but they are only in like the canal things. The nearest one to me is like two miles away.

Yqt1001

• Airline Empires
« Reply #421 on: October 09, 2013, 07:47:04 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24396390

Always neat to see how history from 500 years ago can still have a big impact on life today.

matty406

« Reply #422 on: October 09, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »
So the Congo is in a state of eternal war?

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »
Bikes are a much less pollutive, more healthy, cheaper and more space-efficient alternative to cars.

While that may be true not every country/state/city/county/whatever is small enough to justify the use of only bikes, public transportation is also severely lacking and honestly disgusting.  I would rather keep my car and drive into town than ride a bike.........also you cant go shopping with a bike and take your stuff home, what do you do if you buy a TV?  Plop it on the seat next to you on the bus that doesnt go to your house?

That being said we DO need to find alternatives to vehicles and I do think Tesla has the right idea, once you can charge it at your own home with very little grid energy this will be the best way to go.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #424 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »
inb4 cars are outlawed by 2016
As far as I know it's not Unity List policy to outlaw cars. However, the right and the social democrats have agreed on a really stupid project - plans to build "harbor car tunnels" for almost 30 billion DKK to connect north and south of Copenhagen through east. The plans can be seen here.
http://www.trm.dk/~/media/Files/Publication/2012/strategiske%20analyser/Statuskonference%20november%202012/Jakob%20Karlsh%C3%B8j%20startegiske%20analyser%20261112.pdf

For 26.8 billion DKK, Unity List instead proposes:
4 new light rails
40% lower bus ticket prices for 4 years
A park
Network of "super bike-paths" in Copenhagen - 500 km of 2.5 to 4 meters wide bike paths (I don't think the 1.5 billion allocated to this will finance all of the 500 km, however, my guess would be around 100 km)
100 km of additional bike paths in Copenhagen
Fully automatic trains every 5 minutes (they're currently manual and 10 minutes apart)
Bike parking at central stations
Covering the remaining 4 billion DKK of the construction costs of the metro to Sydhavnen (a new line in southwestern Copenhagen).

And additionally road-pricing based on GPS-measurements, which could finance even more projects
Source:
http://kbh.enhedslisten.dk/nyhed/bilerne-bagerst-trafikudspil-fra-enhedslisten
http://www.kbh.enhedslisten.dk/sites/default/files/Trafikpolitisk%20udspil%202013_0.pdf

I personally really hope this will happen instead of car tunnels, but it seems unlikely.

While that may be true not every country/state/city/county/whatever is small enough to justify the use of only bikes, public transportation is also severely lacking and honestly disgusting.  I would rather keep my car and drive into town than ride a bike.........also you cant go shopping with a bike and take your stuff home, what do you do if you buy a TV?  Plop it on the seat next to you on the bus that doesnt go to your house?

That being said we DO need to find alternatives to vehicles and I do think Tesla has the right idea, once you can charge it at your own home with very little grid energy this will be the best way to go.
I agree that public transport also should be promoted and improved to make up for the cars. Of course you can't simply take away cars without leaving any alternatives. I wouldn't want to immediately ban cars.

I personally plan to live a completely car-free life. To transport large items I plan to buy a trailer to put on my bike, so far I've managed to move my things without it though. If I have to move, I don't need a car for that, there are companies with cars specifically made for that which I can borrow.

But yes, if we spent less resources on cars, those resources could go to public transport, and then the situation would look very different for most people. Buses and especially trains are much more efficient in terms of the energy they use compared to cars, so replacing cars with them would mean much less pollution.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:52:55 AM by Bla »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #425 on: October 09, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
i like how eveything was "by 2012" but then it passed and then everything is "by 2016"

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: October 11, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
Kol, the previous prime minister and current leader of the party Left/Venstre has spent 770,000 DKK (around 150,000 USD) on 15 travels - as chairman of the climate organization GGGI. What a hypocrite.

In response 46% of people have responded that this negatively influences their view of him. 45% replied it didn't affect their view of him. 7% replied they didn't know. And 2% replied it positively affected their view of him.
What?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »
soon 770K DKK will be 770K USD

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #428 on: November 05, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
Kol this post

http://rokokoposten.dk/2013/11/05/antifascister-overfalder-sig-selv/

"Antifascists assault themselves

In an attempt to eradicate the antidemocratic tendencies in the municipal election campaign, a small group of militant antifascists assaulted each other.

It is a bruised but happy Jesper Jensen from the movement Antifascist Action, who RokokoPosten speaks with Monday afternoon.

Because the 23-year old antifascist from Odense is physically affected by yesterday's meeting, where the members gave both themselves and each other a beating with both fists and various weapons. However, it is not a fight based on internal disagreements or enmnity, but the result of a throughout analysis of polical extremism in the municipal election campaign, Jesper Jensen says.

A blow against the extremism
"After a 7 hour long basisdemocratic marathon debate we decided that there actually aren't any nazis just around the corner, so we began to consider whether there were other obscure movements, which pose a threat against democracy. Then we became aware of ourselves," he says.

"It's not just that we openly support violence against political enemies. We also exercise systematic vandalism against election posters and sabotage election meetings, where there are people we don't like," he says.

"And then some of us are also quite fanatic communists, who completely seriously believe in the dictatorship of the proletariat", he adds.

Cobblestone for democracy
Practically it happened by some sitting opposed to others and then beating with bottles and table legs, while others decided to maltreat themselves in the fight against the enemies of democracy. Jesper tells he was one of those, who literally had taken violence in his own hands.

"I hit myself repeatedly in my head with a cobblestone, while shouting "hurray for democracy, death to ourselves," he tells.

"Naturally it hurt, but I could feel, that democracy felt better and better, the more I was bleeding," he excitedly tells.

This afternoon the members will meet for another meeting, where they're going to discuss whether it's ok to burn the cars of political opponents and then collectively run forehead against a wall.

Kol their self-irony. :b

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #429 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '112502'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:28:42 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #430 on: November 05, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
I haven't red it much before, just got the link from Project Antifa's Facebook page, but yes, I think it's a satirical thing. :P

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #431 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:16 AM »
I thought it was Ødense but ok

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #432 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
pronunciation: [ˈoðˀn̩sə] what the heckie danish

i have danishfolk from odense

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: November 06, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
Løl Ødense

Inb4 you all pronounce it "oh dense".

Kol, election video from Enhedslisten Copenhagen. Cool.

Valgfilm Enhedslisten-København 2013 (fuld længde)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:30:13 PM by Bla »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #434 on: November 06, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
does danish even use c

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #435 on: November 07, 2013, 03:05:45 AM »
Yes, circus, citron, center, etc.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #436 on: November 08, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »
Matty and other leftists inside EU should consider supporting/signing and sharing (maybe even donating?) this:

https://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/REQ-ECI-2012-000028/public/

The goal is to get 1 million within EU to sign it before January 14, 2014.

They claim that the donations will be used to start a campaign online and offline to get more people to sign it so there's a chance of reaching 1 million signatures. Idk if there's any actual counter showing how many have signed it. Anyway I signed it.

Edit: Oh yes, there is
https://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/REQ-ECI-2012-000028/public/map.do
It's at 125,004 signatures as of now.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
Municipal and regional elections in Denmark are over. A very good result for Enhedslisten, especially in Copenhagen - they got 19.5% of the votes there, second only to the Social Democrats who got 27.8%.
On country level Enhedslisten got 6.9% of the votes.

From email:
"Until the elections yesterday we were represented in 10 city councils. Now we sit in 79 municipalities with no less than 119 candidates. [...] It is without comparison the best municipal and regional elections that Enhedslisten has ever had."

"In Copenhagen we have no less than 11 mandates and the important seat as mayor of the environment and technology."

Map of results with clickable municipalities and regions for details
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/kv13/resultater

Overall the Social Democrats got the most votes as usual, especially in the cities.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:59:12 PM by Bla »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #438 on: November 20, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
Elections are easy. First think of the person you wanna vote for, Denmark the ballot paper.

FiahOwl

« Reply #439 on: November 20, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '113032'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:26:37 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #440 on: November 25, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
So the government is currently working on the budget law, which it either needs Enhedslisten's or the right wing's support for (if it can't get that, it will mean a new government has to be elected). Enhedslisten is currently trying to pressure the government to make it a right for elderly to get two baths per week and cleaning every second week. The government currently refuses to make it a right and instead wants to increase spending on elderly by 1 billion DKK instead.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #441 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:11 PM »

that is a curious right to have

smjjames

« Reply #442 on: November 25, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
(if it can't get that, it will mean a new government has to be elected)

If only this was an option for the US, IF only. Then again it would be pretty impractical given the size of the country, but hey, if congress doesn't do its job and do a budget (which they haven't for years, I think they've forgotten how to do a budget(, then MAYBE they should lose their jobs.

Of course though, a complete reshuffling would just make it more chaotic.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »

that is a curious right to have
Why? If you were incapable of taking a bath or cleaning your room on your own, how would you feel if you sat week after week and didn't get a bath? How would you feel if someone, say your family or a friend came over to visit you and you haven't been to bath for a week? I would definitely feel embarassed and avoid other people if I hadn't taken a bath for weeks and smelled. If that would be how I would feel for most of my remaining life I would feel uncomfortable. I don't think it's acceptable for such a rich society as Denmark to neglect people like that, I wouldn't support such a right in a poor/developing country though.

FiahOwl

« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '113335'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:25:47 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
Yes, those who can't take a bath on their own. Those who can just take a bath on their own wouldn't really need or have much use of the right.

FiahOwl

« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '113344'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:25:44 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Interestingly, in 2007, our prime minister herself argued that elderly should have the right to have a bath "every day if they want to".

"Socialdemokraterne vil sikre alle ældre ret til pleje på et rimeligt niveau. Er det virkelig for meget forlangt, at vores ældre skal have ret til et bad hver dag, hvis de ønsker det, eller til at komme ud i frisk luft?"

"The social democrats want to secure all elderly the right of care at a fair level. Is it really too much to demand that our elderly should have the right to have a bath every day, if they want it, or to get out in fresh air?"

(Source: Video in Danish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMxBsnmq1Q

But their response to Enhedslisten's demands? Now they're discussing with the right wing instead. What a bunch of hypocritical fools!

As for the right sounding strange, I see your point, but I don't see whether it "sounds strange" having any actual relation to whether the right should be granted or not.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:49:59 PM by Bla »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: December 01, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
Interesting (this is just a short summary of the most important things from the article, I don't have time to translate it all):

Report: 22 billions USD never arrived in the world's poorest countries

One fifth of the world's bilateral development aid never leaves the donor countries.

The money are instead spent on contracts with western corporations and organizations, which deliver everything from food to equipment to services such as consulents and employees.

Sometimes the aid is used to bring down the country's debt. That happened to The Democratic Republic of Congo two years ago. Pretty much none of the 4.9 billion USD that the country received in OECD's spreadsheet found its way to the war-torn country. The vast majority was used to delete debt.

Some countries:
Italy: 86% of aid stayed within Italy
Austria: More than 50%
France: 30%
Sweden: 25%
Denmark: Less than 13%

Source:
http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland/2013/11/29/093235.htm
which refers to research from Development Initiatives on OECD statistics from 2011
http://devinit.org/report/investments-to-end-poverty/

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: December 12, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »
The new chairman of the tax ministry receives a fishing net, so that he can catch all the tax cheaters.