Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Community Idea List  (Read 257927 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Community Idea List
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
You can use the padlock thingies to lock some options while editing others.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
... having the ability to change certain astrophysical data without changing other data (i.e., changing the diameter of a star without the temperature or luminosity data changing.) I try to use data from star and exoplanet catalogues (SIMBAD, etc.) but sometimes I cannot get the astrophysical data to fully represent what I'm seeing in the catalogues.

Can you provide an example of data that you can't get to work?

Oh, also, does this program utilize GPU's for physics processing?

Not yet, and probably not in the initial release of v3... but it is something we're planning on eventually adding.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:54:13 PM by Dan Dixon »

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
Any possibility we'll see more realistic collisions. Such as bits of planets flying off, Craters, etc. (I know this has already been posted but ) Stellar evolution toggle or bands and plate shifts? Or maybe dust being able to combine to form planets.
Maybe Supernovas?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:36:10 PM by Desacabose »

smjjames

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
There will be more realistic collisions, Dan has said that much. We don't have any details about it right now.

Ubox3 is a total rewrite with a new engine (Unity based), so pretty much everything will be improved on to some extent,

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
There will be more realistic collisions, Dan has said that much. We don't have any details about it right now.

Ubox3 is a total rewrite with a new engine (Unity based), so pretty much everything will be improved on to some extent,

I know that I was kinda hoping to get some type of grasp on how much realism there will actually be I assume that since Ubox3 is going to use a new engine (I've seen games upgraded to it,Mostly for graphic reasons) And from the screen shots of Ubox3 I would assume atmospheric overhauls are underway, Collisions were being worked on at some point(the meteors, etc) and Black holes might be more realistic in terms of the gravity they generate, Galaxies may rotate more realistically.Stars may have a new feature, gas giants may  have rotating clouds, clouds might work on other planets, earth might freeze when without heat unfreeze/melt(become molten) without,atmospheres/oceans might be able to be stripped away.Along with a few others these were possibilities I saw in the screen-shots, although this would require more coding than possible in the short period until release.
Side note. I finally got the code achievement after playing a game I like

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
A sun mass black hole actually generates the same amount of gravity as the sun does, it's just that the hidden part of the gravity field that is currently inside the sun is revealed. Also the other things would require procedural generation, which takes a lot of processing power.

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
A sun mass black hole actually generates the same amount of gravity as the sun does, it's just that the hidden part of the gravity field that is currently inside the sun is revealed. Also the other things would require procedural generation, which takes a lot of processing power.

speaking of the sun check out the screenshot section!

Solar Prominence
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:45:38 PM by Desacabose »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
By the way, for procedural generation thingy, take a look at 'Space Engine'. You can't manipulate stuff, but it's still pretty cool.

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
By the way, for procedural generation thingy, take a look at 'Space Engine'. You can't manipulate stuff, but it's still pretty cool.
It's quite good terrain wise...but Ubox3 will most certainly change that...maybe

fortunateson

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
I really enjoyed this game, but often don't play it as much as I would like, at first glance it's interface seems a little intimidating and as an amateur space enthusiast I wish the interface would be a little more stream lined. I'm an avid gamer and when I look at this game I see a lot of untapped potential, such as;

1. The creation of an interface to link up your telescope to a computer/laptop to MAYBE (:D) use it to guide your scope to an object in the sky.
2. Better explosions such as actual chunks of the planets coming off, when you smash something into Earth the object explodes but the initial planet or whatever does not have any noticable effects, like the simulations on TV ect that show how the moon was made taking an actual chunk out of the Earth, now that's cool
3. Only one simulation was added that showed galaxies colliding, the ability should be give to take any two galaxies and collide them.
4. I am guessing that when people play this, they are playing only for a short while for something to do, fun/educating features and modes should be added for that purpose, as should more features that teach amateurs about space  and what not.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2012, 02:45:35 AM »
You can actually do #3 right now. Just take two galaxies and, well, smash them together.

4. I think you can do a lot with this program. Here are some of the things i have done.

roche limit
gravity tractor
moons pulling rings into inclination
moons pulling rings into eccentricity
tidal locking effect
extrasolar systens
rogue planet
rogue stars pasing through system
jupiter turned into brown dwarf
rings around earth
rings around moon
rings around binary objects
orbiting 20 objects into each other
galaxy collisions
dwarf galaxies
galaxy explosions
satellites
any trajectory or orbit you can think of
an imaginary solar system
have everything sucked into a black hole
shooting death stars at the earth
and the list goes on :)

thelasthallow

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Well uhh i think i made an addition that i would like to see though its probbly not possible but ONE CAN WISH!!

Its on line 214 if it saved. i never used google docs before.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »
Just type it in and it automatically saves :)

Dartz

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
This is sort of a minor thing that has been bugging me for awhile, but it would be nice if we could control the tilt of rings without changing the axis information of the object you're dealing with.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »
This is sort of a minor thing that has been bugging me for awhile, but it would be nice if we could control the tilt of rings without changing the axis information of the object you're dealing with.

Hold down the Ctrl key as you drag on the rotate tool to rotate a body without also rotating its rings.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
I think he wants to be able to rotate the rings without rotating the body, the opposite of what is currently possible.

mjduniverse

• Your lack of common sense disturbs me!
    • mjduniverse.com
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
How About A Forum Thread To List Ideas Insted Of A Delicate Google Doc File.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:29:47 AM by mjduniverse »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
This is the forum thread for it. We use a google doc because it is easy to manipulate and change. In addition, keeping track of comments and interest in a thread is hard where as in a document, it is easier.

Limes

• Yay!
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
Hey, I was just wondering if the game could make more use of the habitable zone. I feel as though it is doing nothing significant right now.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2012, 03:14:18 AM »
Neither does the roche limit too :)

What would the habitable zone do.

On another tangent, several people have asked for a life simulator thingy. A life simulation would take a lot of work to code, and cpu power. Universe Sandbox is more of an astronomy oriented program, so if it's more than some simple animation, i don't think we'll be getting much of this anytime soon.

mjduniverse

• mjduniverse.com
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »
The Habitable Zone Around Red Dwarf Stars Are Wrong!
In The Place Where The Green Area Is The Temptures Are 400.C It Says!
PLEASE FIX THAT

mjduniverse

• mjduniverse.com
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Also Add Brown Dwarfs To The List That Glow Dim!

smjjames

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
The Habitable Zone Around Red Dwarf Stars Are Wrong!
In The Place Where The Green Area Is The Temptures Are 400.C It Says!
PLEASE FIX THAT

Did you check the planets atmosphere and the location in the habitable zone?

The calculation for habitable zone should be a whole lot better for Ubox3, I hope.

mjduniverse

• mjduniverse.com
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
Turn Down The Atmospheric Levels Of Carbon Dixoide To Lowest And You Get 200.c
Turn It Up The Highest And You Get 700.c

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 04:56:21 AM »
added my votes :D

Saecii

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
I just wonder if you could make some more use of einsteinian physics in your calculations in the future, instead of newtonian physics. just makes it more precise, and you won't get objects traveling faster than light (this one bugs me out quite a bit).

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2012, 03:53:28 AM »
-added a few ideas

it would be nice to have the ideas cycle, so that ideas with not as many votes can be seen more frequently. Possibly, people don't go through all the ideas and look at just the top few before getting bored.

SupeRobotLazerTiger

• I love the smell of black holes in the mornin'.
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
For when there is a supernova explosion, all solid planets far away can be torched and glowing hot on one hemisphere that is facing the flash from the explosion, before being swept away into dust like a house in a nuclear test film.
    That would be awsome!

SupeRobotLazerTiger

• I love the smell of black holes in the mornin'.
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
If there is going to be supernovas then there should be a sound effect that leaves the user in awe. Here's a cool ambient sound for such a thing.      atomic cannon shockwave

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
Space has no sound.