Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Community Idea List  (Read 257938 times)

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
Re: Community Idea List
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
Space has no sound.
Space has no sound.
BUT WITH SOUNDS IT BECOME MORE FUNNY
Darvince / Hellpotatoe that is unnecessary to do that.
But :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:52:03 PM by Hellpotatoe »

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
Darvince / Hellpotatoe that is unnecessary to do that.

SupeRobotLazerTiger

• I love the smell of black holes in the mornin'.
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
Of course not, but for such an awesome event It would be neat to to have an option. Nothing crazy, maybe just an ambience of bass with some quiet creepy sound at first light. If sound is added, there will probably be a checkable option.
Univers sandbox is already great without sound but why not?
Now to be technical, planets create noise. The sun creates a low hum droning sound. Of course, there needs to be a volume of matter to transfer those wave pulses. In the video, you here a rumble even though the shockwave traveling at the speed of sound had yet to reach the camera. This is because of the shock transferred in the ground.
Now if you were in a nearly invincible spaceship at a distance, (let's just say that it's composed of nuetron star crust matter, the light from the blast in contact with the ship would create sound in the ship (or camera). Maybe such an extreme release of x-rays and gamma rays despite their incredibly small wavelengths creates constructive wave interference with the ships incredibly rigid material creating a quiet rumble.
Anyway, Universe sandbox is all about fun, curiosity, and use of your imagination.
Oh, and by the way I brought up sound with supernovas because it was mentioned by Dan.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
Hmm. I think that a nice thing that would be more useful for moon sims and such would be an oblateness setting (how flattened a sphere is), and maybe even have the oblateness affect gravity calculations. ;D

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
a supernova would eject enough matter to create a significant noise.

according to some less-that-trustworthy-sources, a kilogram of tnt, which is about 1MJ, prodces 90 db of noise at 5 meters. a normal/small sized supernova, which unleases about 10e44J of energy, 10e38 times louder than the kilogram of tnt, assuming the amount of sound is proportional.  so the sound from a supernova is 490 db at 1m, 430 db at 1km, and about 269 db at 1AU. by the way, 200db is enough to cause instant death.
At farther distances than this, the volume drops off significantly as the density of the medium is much lower. however, assuming the density stays the same, you would be able to hear supernova's up to 50 megaparsecs away. thats incredibly far, about 1% to the edge of the observable universe.

@dar i don't see exactly how that could be done, but there could be two points of mass in any body, one at each focus in the ellipsoid.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »
uhhh why are there lots of hidden rows?

B3ARC1AW

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
I just added my idea for Surface Gravity which I'm surprised nobody had brought up.  There was one idea saying add planetary gravity property, but I wasn't sure what it meant considering it was very vague it what he was meaning.  My idea, which is 242 is the surface gravity of any star, planet, moon, asteroid in a text box below the other properties in the properties window.

Idea 177: Planetary Gravity Property

Idea 242: Surface Gravity Property Box

swonx

• vore me donald
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:56 AM »
(sorry didn't read whole thing...) How about a way to custom make galaxies?

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2012, 02:53:05 AM »
That'd be a great feature

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2012, 04:06:38 AM »
(sorry didn't read whole thing...) How about a way to custom make galaxies?

you can already; kind of, but the third dimension is a bit lacking

Yes you can edit galaxies. You can just google or go to Hubblesite or similar places and download a picture of the galaxy. Face on galaxies are the best, because those are the ones that it will work with. Simply go to your Media folder (C:\Program Files\Universe Sandbox\Media), and find the pictures called "Galaxy-X", and replace it with the new one you had. Make sure the file names are exactly the same, and you rename the original and keep it.

Try the left option menu, it will be down towards the very bottom (scroll).

there's also this, made entirely out of dust

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4661.0;attach=9935;image

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
How about a way to custom make galaxies?

Procedural galaxies with 'realistic' star distributions is on the list... You'll be able to choose different types and properties and have the galaxy generated for you.

We're just beginning to work on this... Or I should say Eric is.

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
it would be nice to see weather systems on planets (>.>)   (<.< )

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
that's best left for a global climate model

Komisar

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2012, 05:01:06 AM »
Will be good if you add planets\asteroids etc collisions something like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Big_Splash_Theia.gif?uselang=ru
and with creating rings around the planet, visual lava\Vulcans on the surface of damaget planet

santisim

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Dan, if you could, could you make an Android or Apple app for Universe Sandbox on the app stores? I would like that, if could be done. Thanks   :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:08:23 PM by santisim »

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
Dan, if you could, could you make an Android or Apple app for Universe Sandbox on the app stores? I would like that, if could be done. Thanks   :)
I really doubt this is possible, one the mobile apps just dont have the processing power needed to run US in any form it is now, it would have to be dumbed down so much it would be useless, two I dont even think the coding would work on either platform.

santisim

« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
Dan, could you make an Xbox 360 version of Universe Sandbox?

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Lol, it's like asking Vladimir Romanyuk to make Space Engine for PS3.
In my opinion, I see Dan sticking with the PC, Macintosh, and Linux.
And yay happy 100th post for me!!!  ;D

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
one the mobile apps just dont have the processing power needed to run US in any form it is now, it would have to be dumbed down so much it would be useless, two I dont even think the coding would work on either platform.

It depends on how many bodies you want to simulate and mobile devices keep getting faster.

Dan, could you make an Xbox 360 version of Universe Sandbox?

Unity, the 3D engine we're building the new version with, support lots of different platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Xbox, PS3, and Wii.

That said... I believe that the licensing for Xbox (and the other consoles) is strangely convoluted and that just releasing a new update on Xbox costs something like $10,000 (where there's "no cost" on other platforms). So technically it might be feasible, it's not at all something we're seriously considering at the moment.

Tristhal333

« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2012, 11:34:07 AM »
In the current game creating suns interlocked in an orbit is quite dificult as they tend to simply smash into eachother perhaps there is a way to fix it i am unaware of but in the next game creating a solar system with 2 stars and planets orbiting them would be nice. Sorry if there is something i am missing in the current game.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »
To fix this problem, simply select both stars, and then a tab on your left will appear. You should find an option that says "Make binary orbit" as you skim through the options. That should help with your problem.

Puddle Jumper

« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »
Hello Dan,

First of all, keep up the good work. I was kinda disappointed to hear that Universe Sandbox 3 will not be free of charge for Sandbox 2 owners but since I saw your demo video I really understand it. It's a masterpiece in progress and you have every right to ask a decent price for it. It's a new programme in every aspect and hey, we all pay 50 euro's for Crysis 2 as well despite owning number 1.

Anyway, I'm here because there is a tiny (but for me important) addition I am hoping to see in Sandbox 3 and I can't find it anywhere in this topic.
I am one of those geeks who put together his own solar system before Universe Sandbox came out. The hard way that is, with lots of browsing on Wikipedia, keeping up with the latest discoveries, searching for the right formula's and number crunching on my calculator. Needless to say I didn't have to think twice before buying your programme once it hit Steam. I was very satisfied with it even with the occasional bug and I was even more delighted to see that 90% of my sometimes insane ideas actually worked!

Thing is though, the units system. You thankfully use the metric system most of the time like any sane person indulging in astrophysics, but as soon as numbers get high many units get converted into orders of magnitude related to solar system bodies (earth masses, jupiter masses, solar masses, astronomical units). A logical choice for most people who not always have a sense of scale, but would it be possible to create an option in the options menu to let the units just stay the units? That would make it far more easy for people like me who have pre-made data to put it into the programme. It's a bit silly to convert a planetary mass of 6.573 x 10^24 kg to 1.1 Earth masses, and to do it back again if I change anything in the programme.

Is this something you guys are planning to do, and if not, is it something you might do? I'm no programmer but it sounds like a fairly easy thing. :)

Thanks in advance.

unl0cker

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »
My 2 cents follow.

Suggestion 1:

Would be nice to have a button to zero (or control) the velocity of dust/rings/particles based on where they came from.

Suggestion 1.1:

And to be able to choose the color of the dust. (dusted bodies go right back to their original color and lose the tint)

Suggestion 2:

Be able to select multiple bodies and change their properties all at once. (diam. mass. veloc. etc)

Suggestion 2.2:

Be able to rotate in all axis multiple objects. Like selecting multiple bodies, adding a center point (like a barycenter) and rotate (freely=X,Y and Z) all the bodies in the 3D space based on the "center" point .

This way you can easily make whole solar systems rotate in a different Z axis. Can be handy to build things.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:01:27 PM by unl0cker »

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
My 2 cents follow.

Suggestion 1:

Would be nice to have a button to zero (or control) the velocity of dust/rings/particles based on where they came from.

Suggestion 1.1:

And to be able to choose the color of the dust. (dusted bodies go right back to their original color and lose the tint)

Suggestion 2:

Be able to select multiple bodies and change their properties all at once. (diam. mass. veloc. etc)

Suggestion 2.2:

Be able to rotate in all axis multiple objects. Like selecting multiple bodies, adding a center point (like a barycenter) and rotate (freely=X,Y and Z) all the bodies in the 3D space based on the "center" point .

This way you can easily make whole solar systems rotate in a different Z axis. Can be handy to build things.

Good suggestions. Especially the last one. It would be easier for me to make moons parallel to the axial tilt of a planet.

Jasus1

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
Hey guys i'm new here and i want to ask a question.In Universe Sandbox there is an option to turn shadows of planets ON and OFF so the shadow would cast  on the rings of that planet,but why arent there shadows on planets,moons like an eclipse and will thre be a feature like that ? ???

Jasus1

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
Will eclipses be implemented in the game ?

unl0cker

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
Dan, another good thing to implement is some limitation when moving bodies. Sometimes when you get a body and move it, all of the sudden it goes outside of the screen fov and totally out of the desired area.

How about limiting the bodies move on the visible screen, zoom. Like you can't move to an area that is not displayed. If you want to move far away, or back, you have to zoom out.

OR... preventing from a body do be moved to the back of your view. Is usually there they go.
That would be priceless.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:10:02 PM by unl0cker »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »
@unl0cker

Great point... movement is being totally overhauled in v3.

In the meantime... there is limited undo in Universe Sandbox 2 for movement. Press Ctrl+Z to undo the last move if you totally mess it up. :)

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 12:07:49 AM »
hey can the top two rows be frozen so they stop getting messed up

Posydon

• Eve: Adam do you love me? Adam: Who else?
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
I asked Dan Dixon this.

Also, I heard that your team is introducing stellar-evolution, could your team try to introduce a kind of A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) that would allow life to evolve eventually on a habitable planet... Or could your team try to make a kind of co-op that people could join in on creating a system, so galaxies would spring up, eventually (figuratively, and literally) creating a Universe Sandbox?