Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Iapetus  (Read 11040 times)

Andreas

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Iapetus
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »
Universe Sandbox need a Iapetus Skin. That moon of Saturn is one of the most beautiful and mysterious moons in our solar system.

Nobody know why he is black and white. And nobody know why he has that mysterious ring around his equator.

here some pic.
[Mod by Dan - Direct linking of images removed. Original links:]
http://martianchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/iapetus-real1.jpg
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~astrolab/mirrors/apod_e/image/0710/iapetus2_cassini_big.jpg
http://www.alienvideo.net/0805/img/iapetus/iapetus-equalateral-ridge.jpg

Who else want Iapetus in?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:33:47 PM by Dan Dixon »

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
Re: Iapetus
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »
Dude, those pics are huge. Next time give us a link or something.

That is an interesting looking moon though, surprised I never heard of it.

SuperNova

• ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »
yea thats a cool idea. all the moon skins must be in universe sandbox. like mirananda. it not look like the real one.
and the moon with the big impact mark (i don't romember its name) and impacts and impact marks may look more real. why a white spot? and black hole's more black and not a SUN. a real black hole will be so cool.so who thinks the same.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:58:28 AM by SuperBova »

FGFG

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »
why a white spot?

Because a Crater would need a new model (to be calculated on the fly because it can be big or small; moreover a very big crater can be unreal: it will look like the rising moon, but just with the enlighted face, without the black part) and lot more faces (a sphere is created with lots of triangles) to create the crater.

A white spot is just a little white circle that doesn't overload the CPU even if there are hundreds of them

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »
I believe FGFG is right, only recently have even the new games for consoles have programming for on the fly mesh changes like that. I doubt something like US is gonna be able to change this easily. It could also overload the program (does US compute in itself or does it use the computer?).

Andreas

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 01:36:36 AM »
stay on topic please. I ask about a skin for Iapetus a moon that is considered to be one of the most mysterious for science. Not about craters, black holes and so on.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
Universe Sandbox need a Iapetus Skin. That moon of Saturn is one of the most beautiful and mysterious moons in our solar system.

At your request I'll include a texture of Iapetus in the next update.

Nobody know why he is black and white. And nobody know why he has that mysterious ring around his equator.

We do actually have a few ideas as to why the ridge exists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iapetus_(moon)#Equatorial_ridge

All the moon skins must be in universe sandbox. like mirananda. it not look like the real one.

I'll also look into adding a map of Miranda. Over time I'll be adding more texture maps.

and the moon with the big impact mark (i don't romember its name)

You're thinking of Mimas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimas_(moon)

A texture for this Moon exists in the current version of Universe Sandbox, but it's not very good. The next update will include an improved texture map for this moon.

and impacts and impact marks may look more real. why a white spot? and black hole's more black and not a SUN. a real black hole will be so cool.

And good question on why impacts are white and black holes aren't black. It's simply because I haven't yet taken the time to improve the realism of their appearance. It's the same story with black holes. (although making them black would also make them hard to see and find) Eventually I'd like to add a graphical effect to black holes to represent how they bend the light around them.

FGFG is right that actually modeling impact marks in the mesh (the 3D model) would be slower and more complicated, but that's also something that I'd like to experiment with in the distant future.

[on the fly mesh changes] could also overload the program (does US compute in itself or does it use the computer?)

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Could you please elaborate?

And it is easy to get off topic. No worries. But please always feel free to start a new thread. :)

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »
I had a stupid moment there, disregard that, lol.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
All the moon skins must be in universe sandbox. like mirananda. it not look like the real one.

I'll also look into adding a map of Miranda. Over time I'll be adding more texture maps.

Remember, Miranda has only had about 100 degrees of it's surface imaged. Same with Ariel, Umbriel, Orberon, and Titania.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
YOU ALL FORGOT! Iapetus already has a skin!!!!