Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: German language in Sandbox?  (Read 7056 times)

Andreas

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
German language in Sandbox?
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
I´m german and my english is not so good. so it would be better if it would be in german. Is it possible that there german version in the future?

FGFG

Re: German language in Sandbox?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »
I don't know how language in Universe Sandbox works, but in many programs (expecially viodeogames) all the phrases and words are stored in a file. If Universe Sandbox uses this file you could try to translate it yourself, or with the help of a friend of yours ;). I could do it for the italian version and other people for other languages. Those people would post the file here on the forum and Dan could use the files for the program (I don't think that Dan knows many languages; he's not a translator :P). Obviously it should be a free contribution.

If language is determined directly by the code it is more hard to translate the program because you should look at the code and translate it, however you should edit the code for every language and for every update... Moreover you should be a programmer to do it or at least you must be able to read the code :-\. As a solution Dan could ask people how the frases are spoken in their languages, but it is a long task and the results could be strange because of the different grammars.

Any other suggestions?

I hope i've been useful :)

FGFG

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
At the moment most of the text is hard coded. They're not yet stored in a file like FGFG suggested.

My long term plans for Universe Sandbox includes adding this support to make it easy to localize in other languages, but I suspect that this is at least 6 months out.

My plans for the UI overhaul will move it to a more icon based format, so text won't be as dominate in the interface as it is currently.

It's true, I'm not a translator. :)

(And I would not have guessed that you (Andreas) would rate your English as 'not so good'. It seems very good to me.)

Andreas

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:14:05 PM »
i often mix words in wrong direction.^^