Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Events in Egypt  (Read 5000 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Events in Egypt
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:13:19 AM »
I've been following the events in Egypt via the Internet over the last few days. I'm finding it very interesting.

What are your thoughts?

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: Events in Egypt
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
I've heard about it the last few days. I'm going to assume they might overthrow the government, since the protests is getting larger. What is their intent?

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:29:20 AM »
I hope they'll overthrow the government if they can make a better system (which I don't think would be hard, compared to the current one). I don't hope so if the islamists will come to power though, as they'll just make an even worse government, but I don't think they will either.
I think it's very likely that the government will be overthrown.

Naru523, their intent is to get a new government. Mubarak has ruled the country for more than 20 years, and many people don't have any jobs and are very poor. The country has also been declared in an emergency condition for many years, and demonstrations have been forbidden.
See this page on Wikipedia.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »
The people for their president clashed with the anti people yesterday too.

matty406

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »
Didn't tanks open fire (MG fire, not shells) on protesters? Even fleeing ones?
They may have been trying to scare them away, but two got killed. It's not that hard to fire off a few bursts over their heads, and make sure they don't get hurt. Methinks foul play.

Naru523

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »
Naru523, their intent is to get a new government. Mubarak has ruled the country for more than 20 years, and many people don't have any jobs and are very poor. The country has also been declared in an emergency condition for many years, and demonstrations have been forbidden.
See this page on Wikipedia.

Good thing Mubarak said he is not going to be re-elected. Though, you'll begin to wonder if he keeps his promise.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:21:36 AM »
Good thing Mubarak said he is not going to be re-elected. Though, you'll begin to wonder if he keeps his promise.
He'll just pass the rule on to someone from his family, who will then be the new dictator for the next 30 years.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:34:03 AM »
He can't do that, can he?

If it's anything like our elections... Someone will actually have to get voted for!

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
It's easy to call something an election, but that doesn't mean it's democratic in any way.
You could cheat with the votes, and report more votes for you than your opposition. You could take control of the media of the country, like Berlusconi in Italy, who can now happily sit back while the media biases the stories in his favor. You could forbid your opposition to participate in the vote, in fact you could make the "elections" so that you can only vote on you.

Naru523

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
30 years? Well, almost forgot it's a different custom... Though, that sounds pretty crazy for 30 years.

matty406

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
This morning I heard Mubarak was going to call an election in September.
But then just a while ago I heard he finally stepped down for good.

Naru523

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:27:43 AM »
Yeah, he passed it on to Supreme Council of Armed Forces. But the bad news is that there's anti-government protests at Yemen and Algeria. Seems like its happen to most countries of the Arab World.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
Some revolution is going to occur, this could be bad, or good.

Terrorist groups could get involved and hijack governments, or it could restore some order over there... Who knows?

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
I'd wish there would be protests in Iran and Saudi Arabia too, and that their governments would be overthrown.
Maybe terrorists can restore order, if they establish similar insane governments to those in Iran and Saudi Arabia, but in that case order isn't good. The only reason why they have some kind of order there is that their governments are even more insane than those in Egypt etc., so it is impossible to get enough to stand up against them (because of fear of what will happen to those who critisize them).

So far the revolutionary people seem to celebrate democracy, and that's what they've requested all the times (things they want to achieve through democracy, at least). So they have my approval so far.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
I'm saying one way is... these revolutions could weaken the governement and cause terrorist to take over, OR
these revolutions could cause... new order from democracy and other things or w/e.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
I think you're right that terrorists could want to take over Egypt, but I don't think they're anywhere strong enough to do that. And some of the countries similar but more extreme than Egypt (again, I'll have to mention Saudi Arabia and especially Iran in this case) support terrorists.

Edit: Demonstrations in Iran! ;D

"Demonstrations Have Reached Iran
14. February 2011 15:47
According to Reuters, there are clashes between police and protesters in several places in the Iranian capital, Tehran, where the police have taken tear gas and rubber bullets in use to dissolve the demonstrations.
At least 18 people has been provisionally arrested.

Opposition Leader in House Arrest
All day in Iran, there have been security forces present in the capital's streets ahead of what may be the biggest demonstration the country has seen since the Iranian opposition movement's first green demonstrations in December 2009.
In connection with today's demonstrations, the authorities have denied opposition leaders Mirhossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi to attend and have placed them under house arrest, while all telephone contact and internet near their houses are abandoned.
It is so far reported that at least 4,000 demonstrators in the streets, and still more flowing mainly to the central Azadi Square.

The Legacy of Tunisia and Egypt
Meanwhile, according to Reuters, larger demonstrations have begun in the southern city of Isfahan and the southwestern city of Shiraz.
The Iranian regime is seeking, according to BBC, to prevent Iran's green opposition movement and other opponents of the regime manages to use the uprising in Tunisia and Egypt to incite new violent protests, which finally occurred in 2009 over the reelection of the controversial Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad."

Translated with Google Translate, with a few quick changes. Source: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland/2011/02/14/154234.htm
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:46:11 AM by Bla »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Next thing you know, demonstrations all over the Middle East!

Naru523

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
Next thing you know, demonstrations all over the Middle East!

It's happening on the Arab World.

"Anti-government protests are held in Algeria, Bahrain, Iran, Libya and Yemen."

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
No not Bahrain! :P

There's an F1 track there!

Naru523