Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blacraft  (Read 2583246 times)

smjjames

Re: Blacraft
« Reply #3030 on: March 08, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
Changing the graphics style to fast also helps alot actually. Still would like the rain to stop so I can properly gauge the lag.....

Its actually slightly laggy (due to rendering) on far view, but this is with the rain and this lag isn't the same as I had before.

Or maybe its my CPU usage maxing out.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3031 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
Changing the graphics style to fast also helps alot actually.

Yeah, rendering usually takes up 80% of the cpu/ram/whatever. Reducing the distance from far to tiny is a distance lowering of 8 times i think which equates to 1/64 the computations needed to render

smjjames

« Reply #3032 on: March 08, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »
Any idea when Bukkit will update to 1.2?

Arg, those lag spikes of death are still there when I get a certain distance from the area of the inside circle. It was pretty laggy on approach with far distance, switched to normal and it was being okay and then BAM, massive lag.

Edit2: It had a massive hang and then disconnected itself, 'connection lost:end of stream'.

There is SOMETHING about that area, probably the water, that is causing massive lag. Also I think hidden mobs might be causing some of those lagspikes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:54:08 PM by smjjames »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3033 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
yeah thats partly why i want to solve the problem...

-snip-

smjjames

« Reply #3034 on: March 08, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »
Gah! >< , the lag is even worse, I can barely even move and keep getting stream lost. How the hell do you do it with your computer???

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3035 on: March 08, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
me, naru, bong, can do it easily. I'm pretty sure something is not exactly right with your client/computer/server. It happend to me once too. Just hope for 1.2 bukkit :P

No idea what is wrong

smjjames

« Reply #3036 on: March 08, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
I'd be nice if I knew what it was.

It's possible that something got screwed up when I updated too early and I had to do a rollback since that seems to be when the problems started.

It's laggy on far view (I think maybe I'm not out of the 'chunk' that wall is in yet as I can still see it in the far distance), but at least I'm not running out of memory.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:19:39 PM by smjjames »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3037 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
yeah i lag a bit too on far view usually

i play on normal or short usually, something between the two would be perfect

smjjames

« Reply #3038 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
Lol, I got an out of memory error while riding the rails and using far view, although I was probably asking for it what with the speed of the rails.

Normal view has been pretty smooth and the rails are always slightly laggy as usual.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3039 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »
Smjjames, if you can log onto Blacraft with an 1.2 Minecraft version at all, try using MC Nostalgia or whatever it was to go back to 1.1 if you haven't already.

Mudkipz, no, I'm not going to edit the water and lava to be still. First of all, it's 100% unlegit. Secondly, I don't even think it would make any difference on the performance. The blocks themselves may be still water, but if the surface isn't even, the water will just flow off the edges of the still water blocks, and then we will have about just as much floating water as before.

smjjames

« Reply #3040 on: March 09, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
Smjjames, if you can log onto Blacraft with an 1.2 Minecraft version at all, try using MC Nostalgia or whatever it was to go back to 1.1 if you haven't already.

Uh, http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,2724.msg60557.html#msg60557 I tried over a week ago and somehow MCNostalgia isn't compatible with 1.2 AND it appears that right after I did the rollback, I started getting wierd lagspikes. So there must be something wrong with the client itself.

Permission to begin digging the rail line tunnel to Kaeshar? I did read the Rules/Law of Blacraft and will do some surveying to map out the route (although I can do the surveying anyway).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:39:29 AM by smjjames »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3041 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
"Mudkipz, no, I'm not going to edit the water and lava to be still. First of all, it's 100% unlegit. Secondly, I don't even think it would make any difference on the performance. The blocks themselves may be still water, but if the surface isn't even, the water will just flow off the edges of the still water blocks, and then we will have about just as much floating water as before."

So i know you like to keep stuff legit, and this might be considered unlegit. However, this doesn't give me any advantage or benefit, it just prevents lag. Also, i don't know what you mean by even surface, but if i do not touch the blocks or any block surrounding them after construction, there should be no flow.

smjjames

« Reply #3042 on: March 09, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »
"Mudkipz, no, I'm not going to edit the water and lava to be still. First of all, it's 100% unlegit. Secondly, I don't even think it would make any difference on the performance. The blocks themselves may be still water, but if the surface isn't even, the water will just flow off the edges of the still water blocks, and then we will have about just as much floating water as before."

So i know you like to keep stuff legit, and this might be considered unlegit. However, this doesn't give me any advantage or benefit, it just prevents lag. Also, i don't know what you mean by even surface, but if i do not touch the blocks or any block surrounding them after construction, there should be no flow.

He means a flat surface without y axis variation.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3043 on: March 09, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
yes, i believe the water will not flow once they are edited to still block and then to water. I've seen videos of it , but i'll test on my own too, if you want.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3044 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Mudkipz, just forget about it. This is not a creative world. It is not going to happen.

Btw, here's what I mean by the flow... You make the flowing blocks solid, but they will just make new flow blocks at their edges if there's no wall to contain them. This only happens when they're simulated though (a block update), otherwise they will just look like water cubes, which would look sort of strange, too.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3045 on: March 09, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
actually with mcedit, you can get it to stop flowing

Minecraft - Erupting Volcano

i tried it out and it works perfectly, except the sides of the still water still animated

So is it the rendering of water that causes lag, or the calculations for where it will flow?

smjjames

« Reply #3046 on: March 09, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »
Seems like its the flow calculations as rendering an ocean isn't a problem. Especially if there is alot flowing at once.

Also, what about my question on starting up the rail line tunnel?

Oh yea, I have over three large chests full of cobblestone right now, lol ><

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #3047 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
oh Bla, can you somehow trace or logblock the blazerod? I rechecked the pubic storage again, and no sign of it.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3048 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »
Seems like its the flow calculations as rendering an ocean isn't a problem. Especially if there is alot flowing at once.

That's sorta backwards. rendering an ocean is easy because it is all flat on the top. flow calculations there is none because they're all source blocks surrounded by other source blocks.

In my scenario, there are about 80,000 animated blocks and just as many flow calculations.

smjjames

« Reply #3049 on: March 09, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »

That's sorta backwards. rendering an ocean is easy because it is all flat on the top. flow calculations there is none because they're all source blocks surrounded by other source blocks.

In my scenario, there are about 80,000 animated blocks and just as many flow calculations.

The difference is that of the 80,000 blocks, only the top layer is being animated and thats only one side of the block since none of it is actually flowing.

I don't really know if that is actually whats happening.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3050 on: March 09, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
With both still water and flowing water, the sides of the blocks are animated, sadly.

In an ocean, everything is still (the top layer)

smjjames

« Reply #3051 on: March 09, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
Hrm, I didn't know that for underwater.

It could just be the sheer amount of calculation that Minecraft has to do all at once. I really don't know what exactly it is about the massive water curtain that is causing lag.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3052 on: March 09, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
It could just be the sheer amount of calculation that Minecraft has to do all at once.

Yeah i'm wondering wheter the render calculations are causing problems or if the water flow is causing lag or if it is lagging all...i will make 450*450 box in minecraft with water to see...

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #3053 on: March 09, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
Bla, can you move this discussion about lag in Minecraft to the Minecraft 1.1 topic?

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3054 on: March 10, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
Bla, can you move this discussion about lag in Minecraft to the Minecraft 1.1 topic?
I can only split, I can't merge topics. But the discussion is about something in the Blacraft world, so it wouldn't be less relevant here than in the Minecraft topic.

Still, I'm not going to MCEdit it.

oh Bla, can you somehow trace or logblock the blazerod? I rechecked the pubic storage again, and no sign of it.
I can't track individual items, but I can see who accessed the chests and when. If you know what chest it was in, that'd help, and when it disappeared. I think I remember which one it was.

Also, what about my question on starting up the rail line tunnel?
I've probably forgotten about it, sorry. :P I'll probably make a better rail map with stations soon, and maybe we can plan a route to Kaeshar then...

Edit:

I made a railmap:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/blacraft/images/e/ed/Blacraft_Railmap.png

So, what do Atomic and smjjames think of this plan to connect Kaeshar from Rift Auspikitan, with a station in Hondarah as well?
Orange and yellow are alternative routes, depending on what Atomic would prefer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:13:17 AM by Bla »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3055 on: March 10, 2012, 04:11:23 AM »
looks nice, but if no one uses hondurhah, you could practically make a direct route straight down from auspikitan to the station vertically. I herd nue said there was nothing in hondurah besides the treehouse thing i made

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3056 on: March 10, 2012, 05:23:04 AM »
big wall is too big for quake pro
and i see what smjjames meant with the water :P i'll fix it asap

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #3057 on: March 10, 2012, 06:00:28 AM »
I can't track individual items, but I can see who accessed the chests and when. If you know what chest it was in, that'd help, and when it disappeared. I think I remember which one it was.

For starters, it was the third chest to the left once you walk in.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3058 on: March 10, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
I know where they are and who took them now. I'll take care of the rest. :)

Or do you need them now?
I've moved the blaze rods back to Spawntown in any case.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:22:12 AM by Bla »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #3059 on: March 10, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
Not now, maybe by tom? If you cant do that, by next weekend? Also, where are you going to put the blazerods? Dumping or ?