Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What setting controls how quickly fragments disappear?  (Read 5158 times)

kgor93

What setting controls how quickly fragments disappear?
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
Fragments disappear way too fast IMO. How can I make them stick around longer?

kgor93

Re: What setting controls how quickly fragments disappear?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:16:21 AM »
Bump

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:04:57 PM »
Sorry for missing this before.

You can tone down some of the systems that are in place that attempt to keep things running smoothly, which is why fragments are removed. First, you can turn off the budget with Home > Settings > Performance > Dynamic Budget.

Then you can also set Home > Settings > Simulation Performance to a higher setting, which allows more fragments to be created and stick around. If you'd like, you can set this to Custom then expand it with the caret to expose "Max Non-attracting Bodies" -- this is what budgets how many fragments are allowed to stick around.

We'd like to make some significant improvements to our budgeting system, and we also will hopefully have some physics changes in the near future that will help with performance on a whole (which in turn would help keep fragments around longer).

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:16:47 PM by Jar »

kgor93

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »
Sorry for missing this before.

You can tone down some of the systems that are in place that attempt to keep things running smoothly, which is why fragments are removed. First, you can turn off the budget with Home > Settings > Performance > Dynamic Budget.

Then you can also set Home > Settings > Simulation Performance to a higher setting, which allows more fragments to be created and stick around. If you'd like, you can set this to Custom then expand it with the caret to expose "Max Non-attracting Bodies" -- this is what budgets how many fragments are allowed to stick around.

We'd like to make some significant improvements to our budgeting system, and we also will hopefully have some physics changes in the near future that will help with performance on a whole (which in turn would help keep fragments around longer).

I think it would be helpful to have fragments included in the chart view.

I usually keep fragments that are of a significant size (5km and larger). But the only way to keep and see all the fragments is to convert them to full bodies and THEN look at them in chart view. I've crashed my game before by accidentally converting thousands of small (under 500kg) bodies.

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
Fragments should not disappear and always remain in the simulation until they collide with another objects. For example, in Alpha 16, the fragments remains in the simulation until they crash into planets.