Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SketchUp Models & Potential Game?  (Read 3018 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
SketchUp Models & Potential Game?
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
Now that we use computers in the education, the breaks are great for making 3D models in Google SketchUp. ;D Since I started, I've slowly built a city [Link].
Also, I just uploaded a Boxal City I made long ago to my models. If you want to see the rest of them, here's a link.

Does any of you have an account on the 3D Warehouse?

And I also thought of a second game... I think the 3D city game was good, but too unrealistic in the end, and it's always sad when there's a limit to a project (file size limit on attached posts). So, would anyone else want to start a new game where we build low rise buildings in the start, and let our cities grow outwards before they grow too much upwards? I could try to make a model in the 3D Warehouse, which we should all be able to edit, maybe.

matty406

Re: SketchUp Models & Potential Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
That is a pretty awesome concept. The only thing, I think, is the learning curve for Sketchup newbies, but it isn't that bad.

I imagine the city game will be similar to map war in the sense that there are 'plots' instead of 'regions', and players extrude a set amount of meters from the plot according to a budget?
'Cause I would play it.

And no, I don't have a Warehouse account. Yet. ::)

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
Yes, it could be similar. It could be made like in the first 3D City Game, but where I make the zones rather than letting everyone expand their zones as they want, and city builders have to achieve certain goals before they may build beyond a certain height or claim a new zone.
I don't want to force anyone to build lots of 15 · 15 houses along 2m wide pavements along 8m wide roads, though. :P People will be mostly free to build their own cities, and as long as they stay within their borders, they can't destroy other people's cities anyways.

And there won't be any production, industry, population etc., as it can't be calculated easily. It could be rated, but I don't think it's good to set games up around subjective ratings.

Of course, I will make zones around zones which people expand into.

matty406

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
Now you mention it, and now I think more about it, it is complicated.
How about a resourceless, turn based, limitless free for all in which each player creates a building on their turn?

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
You can make it if you want, I'd gladly join it.
Though I prefer a resourceless, non-turn based, height and territory regulated game in which cities are build and connected. I'm writing the rules right now.

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »
Now that we use computers in the education, the breaks are great for making 3D models in Google SketchUp. ;D Since I started, I've slowly built a city [Link].
Also, I just uploaded a Boxal City I made long ago to my models. If you want to see the rest of them, here's a link.

Does any of you have an account on the 3D Warehouse?

And I also thought of a second game... I think the 3D city game was good, but too unrealistic in the end, and it's always sad when there's a limit to a project (file size limit on attached posts). So, would anyone else want to start a new game where we build low rise buildings in the start, and let our cities grow outwards before they grow too much upwards? I could try to make a model in the 3D Warehouse, which we should all be able to edit, maybe.
I am not going to play unless you let me put high rise buildings.

I actually do not like realism on certain games (like building cities).

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
Sorry, but then you must play in the old 3D city game.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »
I was using Sketch Up just the other day and remembered the sketch up game. I might play it.