Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Solar System Formation Simulation  (Read 5554 times)

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
Solar System Formation Simulation
« on: May 24, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
Yo. I just started a large project of simulating the creation of a solar system. 10,000 particles, 1.1 Sun total mass with a gas giant in the middle and some moons orbiting that giant. I am recording it, but the problem is the file size limit of mp4. I can't record it for full 2 days, since it would generate over 5 terabytes of data. So, I'm only going to simulate it until I reach 2TB. I'll share the vid to ya guys after it's done, but what do you think of my idea? :) should I do something differently or...?

TheFinnishForehead

Re: Solar System Formation Simulation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »
I didn't get any results with a first try, but 50k particles was fun to watch. Anyone can explain to me why they didn't do anything? :D

A quick vid I made...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obQrl6IMfqk&feature=youtu.be

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »
If you're going to use particles, you need to add some real bodies too, "seed planetesimals" you might call them. They can be as small as you want, asteroids even, but you need them.

As far as filming, if you're not doing a time lapse, you should do that instead of having a super high fps that many people won't even have the display to appreciate. A frame or two per second should be plenty, depending on your time step and the size of your system.

TheFinnishForehead

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »
That is a time lapse bro. Around 30 minutes worth of filming. And I did add actual bodies there, but nothing happened lol. There were several moons orbiting a planet with a mass of 5.17 Jupiters

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 01:52:26 AM »
Sorry. I didn't get a chance to look at it for more than a couple seconds before, I see now you're right, nothing happened.

It could easily just be a matter of the sheer scale of space. I usually run simulations overnight and don't get immense progress sometimes, and that's with using a really small system and using 100% real, gravitationally attracting bodies. I'm not sure of the scale of your system in the video, but I can't see the gas giant, so the wait for results will probably be more like several days rather than several hours. This is precisely the reason I'm getting a new computer when my laptop is at least decent on its own; so I can run simulations for a really long time and not be annoyed by not being able to use my computer. You'll probably have to wait. Not fun, I know, but space is big and collisions are rare, especially ones between dust bodies and real bodies, which is the only way your system is going to progress.

Honestly, dust is a horrible way of building a system "from scratch", because although they are computationally faster (they don't have to keep track of all the stats planets do) they are really bad for building systems, because they don't gravitationally attract whatsoever, so they don't effect each other's orbits at all. That means the only way they will be cleaned up is by real bodies, which you will have comparatively few of. This is good if you're looking to watch how planets clean up debris in a solar system, and how they create regions of less debris and how they leave some areas with debris, but for letting a system actually form, it's pretty bad, 1% of the population are doing 100% of the work. Imagine how atrociously badly human society would function if it worked that way.

TheFinnishForehead

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
You're right. That's why I'm working on building a new system for my work and other games, and leaving this one as is, optimized from scratch to run US2 at incredible speeds :P Tweaking Windows itself and messing up with the BIOS is slow tho, but I can likely double my US2 performance :)

TheFinnishForehead

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07:02 AM »
Talking about stripping Windows from useless shit, tweaking my OC to absolute maximum, overclocking CPU cache etc. So, I'm confident I can get US2 to run twice as fast I currently can with my editing optimized all-purpose rig....