Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My personal, massive project - Project Uncharted  (Read 3803 times)

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
My personal, massive project - Project Uncharted
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:32 PM »
Hi there US2 community. I've decided to start the most massive project in US2. I'm creating custom stars and planets, moons and such. A LOT. In fact, even if I do that every day for 2 hours straight (2-4h to be precise), it would probably take me at least 2 months to reach satisfying quantities of unique stars, planets and moons. I give them custom names, all named after famous scientists (every area of expertise works), and even implement mythologies. I recently designed a star system with the star named after Anders Celsius, with the planets named after places in Norse mythology. Of course, Hel is scorched by the star's radiation, while Midgard sits in the goldilocks zone.

But, I digress. After this is done, I plan the solar systems for each star, deciding which planets orbit it at what distance and whether there are brown dwarfs, if they are binary systems and whether there are moons, and if so, how many. And of course, the data contains their orbital period, periapsis and apoapsis, names and everything vital, since they've all been saved to User Objects.

After this is done, I create a star map, with each star system placed at precise angles and distances towards each other, orbiting a supermassive black hole. After that is done, I start to build it. My hope it to build an actual galaxy, with high enough star count to achieve a level of luminosity required to be brightly seen, as a galaxy shaped thing, from a distance of 3 million light years.

What do you think of this idea? It's huge, I know it, and I'll probably lose it a couple of times and ofc get frustrated, but the cinematic screenshots will be worth it.

Also, I made a promotional picture. Only for those who use Photoshop (unfortunately, the file could only be encoded as .psb, since it is so damn massive. WARNING! Opening the picture on your PC, unless very powerful with huge amount of RAM, will cause massive lag. Also, I have no idea what it's gonna look like for the people without full RGB scale display with HDR support....

Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FtnaNlRnD_UN8mnwZBx1ihkYcnz0QbW8/view?usp=sharing Photoshop users enjoy! :)

Physics_Hacker

Re: My personal, massive project - Project Uncharted
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
If I'm going to be honest here, you should wait to do such a huge project until a very helpful feature comes along: being able to add your own planetary textures/maps. Currently the "randomly generated" planets aren't really randomly generated, not in heightmaps anyway. But by the time they add it, your simulation will probably be out of date and not work with the new version, so the planets you'll be using will eventually all look the same, especially with the sheer amount of planets you're going to be using. Using custom planet textures, your planets could each be unique, especially with my help. You see, I've been collecting and making planet textures for years now, and have found a program in which I can make basically any kind of planet you want me to, and export the map for it that you can use elsewhere, so all you'd need to do is describe several planets and at most a few days later I'd have them ready to send to you, and that's if I have to make them right there and then. I mean, it's your project, do what you like with it, but I feel like it would give this simulation an added layer of realism and maybe some more coolness and I could put my texture skills to good use for once :-I And even if I don't help you, you could do it yourself an still end up with a much more customized galaxy that you just can't make right now .-.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »
1.4 Gigabytes... JEEZ! How you can produce such an monstrosity?! Comparing to US² itself, That's more than HALF the size (US² is 2.1 GB)!

TheFinnishForehead

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
Dude.... that's nothing. I intended to do a small scale panorama pic of the 57 stars I placed rationally around the center but photoshop said the maximum width for a pic is mere 300,000 pixels....

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 06:11:47 AM »
Dude.... that's nothing. I intended to do a small scale panorama pic of the 57 stars I placed rationally around the center but photoshop said the maximum width for a pic is mere 300,000 pixels....

"mere"? Paint crashes at 10,000x10,000 pixels, and 300,000 pixels is like... beyond even Hubble!

on a unrelated note, your profile picture looks like Yoko from TTGL (yeah my username came from TTGL)

TheFinnishForehead

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »
Yeah, the chick in mah pic is Yoko :D TTGL was the 1st anime I watched and Yoko is just waifu material :P

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »
Yeah, the chick in mah pic is Yoko :D TTGL was the 1st anime I watched and Yoko is just waifu material :P

Oh my, the FIRST?! gets that STTGL Giga Drill flashback

TheFinnishForehead

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 03:09:33 PM »
Lmao yeah. Tho, how about throwing galaxies with the Anti-Spirals? :D

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
Lmao yeah. Tho, how about throwing galaxies with the Anti-Spirals? :D

Yeah, they were throwing entire galaxies the size of the largest structures in our universe, like nothing!