Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Animate clouds, add winds and a wind value  (Read 4703 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Animate clouds, add winds and a wind value
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »
I have come up with a brilliant addition to clouds. Clouds in Universe Sandbox 2, currently does not move. Please create an update to fully animate the random movement of clouds for rocky and gas planets when adding an atmosphere. For example, Earth has clouds that must be in motion.

Wind is something that is extremely demanding and winds are missing from the interface of Universe Sandbox 2. Please add a value for winds in Universe Sandbox 2, like mass and radius.

Both gas giants and rocky planets have winds. The only difference is that they have different wind speeds and patterns. The major difference is that the clouds on both rock and gas planets look different, with various thickness in atmosphere.

Please release an update to fully animate both the clouds and winds on rocky and gas planets.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Re: Animate clouds, add winds and a wind value
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
Here are some images of winds and clouds:

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Hurricanes and tornadoes are also types of winds that must be simulated in Universe Sandbox 2. Terrestrial planets like Earth that support a fully habitable environment and a suitable Earth-like atmosphere must have abilities to fully support all types of winds.

unclejoeussr

• Leader of the Soviet Union
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
I have a feeling most of this is probably to much for the engine, but maybe a simple cloud model could be possible, certainly I think the gas giants need to have circulating cloud bands like IRL.

Funny thing about what you were saying, when I got my first telescope last year I remember I got to see Jupiter and I was amazed that I could actually SEE the cloud bands swirling around the planet, I never actually knew you could see them rotating, and ever since US2 and Space Engine just don't seem the same when I look at Jupiter and its clouds just sit there static :(

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
Yes, you're right, Jupiter should have circling bands on gas clouds, and rocky planets should have animated cloud models.

unclejoeussr

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
If only there was some way to mod this into US2 I am sure someone already would have.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »
In the near future, it would be possible to mod the colors of gas giants and stars. Just wait and see. Modding would be done within the interface on the properties of gas giants just like rocky planets.

unclejoeussr

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »
No no not like that, I mean as in a mod which would make the cloud bands actually rotate around the planet (as oppossed to just the whole planet rotating.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:36 AM »
Yes, I agree with you. It would be good to mod rotating clouds of dust clouds around gas giants.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »
Clouds and atmosphere must have an interface added within Universe Sandbox 2 to customize their color. I want to be able to customize the colors of everything within the interface of Universe Sandbox 2. Color customization is a feature that I requested a lot because when I create simulations, I like to colorize them to make them look very nice and appealing to other people.

electricpants

• Is it bad that I like ammonia planets better?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
Clouds and atmosphere -snip- to customize their color.

Ok, you know what? For once I'll agree with you. However, that isn't really a pressing issue, so it probably won't be added for a while, if ever.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:35:47 AM »
Planets would appear more realistic if they have animated clouds. That includes both rocky and gas giants, cloud animation.