Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Create planets by spraying materials such as water and silicates in space  (Read 7810 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
I have tried to create planets in Universe Sandbox 2 by only spraying materials into space. Unfortunately, that did not clump together to create the planet I hoped for. So nothing happened.

The developers must make it possible to create planets from scratch by spraying water and other materials into space without having a base object such as an asteroid.

Dust should be a material that should be added to the list of materials and also used as a sprayed material. Dust particles in space normally clump together to grow planets. That is what Universe Sandbox 2 should simulate as well.

Flerg

So, I too have been trying to accomplish this.

From what I've gathered, particles and fragments do not act as attracting bodies. A shame, but makes sense from a simulation performance stand point. However, I have been using a method that offers acceptable results.

To "birth" a system, you can try the following:

-Add a star or any object with mass to be the center. (Optional)

-Use the Add Object -> Rings, select "Asteroid Belt" (personal preference), and edit the parameters.
 + Choose how many particles you would like to generate of a specific material type.
 + Choose the cumulative mass of all the particles. Keep in mind the mass of each particle after generation.
 + Select which material you would like to generate.
 + Choose the Inner Radius of generation.
 + Choose the Outer Radius of generation. (Max size of system)
 + Choose the Height of generation.
 + All other parameters should be acceptable.

-Use your custom ring configuration and generate the amount of mass / particles of each material type you would like. It is important to keep in mind how much mass you are generating, how much mass of EACH material type, how many particles and the mass of each particle, and the size of the system.

-Once you've generated all your materials to form the planets, you will notice nothing is happening.

-The way to spark the system is to:
 + Pause the simulation.
 + Select a particle / fragment.
 + Go to Actions and select "Convert Fragment to Full Body."
 + Repeat this for as many planetesimals as you would like. Spread them out unless you would like planets with moons.
 + Resume simulation.

NOTE: You may also use the ring generator, select "Bodies Instead of Particles", and choose the number of attracting bodies you would like. This may be more effective for determining the base material of formation and the starting mass of each planetesimal. I typically do not do this, as I like to look at the distribution of particles and determine clusters that would have a probability of clumping.

This method should be at least exciting, but that is barring the amount of simulation time it takes to get exciting results.

Play around with this and let me know what you think.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
I have done this before but its a manual conversion. What I want is the ability to fully simulation the birth of stars and planets around a ring system around the star. The planets would form from a spinning disk of dust and asteroids around the proto star.

Gas giants would form further out where the temperature is cold and where icy asteroids exist.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
When spraying materials such as water of silicates in space, the gravity between each of the particles should gravitationally attract each other and grow into larger and larger particles until they form asteroids, then planets.

Gravity in Universe Sandbox 2 should actually work with liquids because even liquids can gravitationally attract each other in space because liquids contains mass.

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
This would require some sort of supercomputer to simulate. It is why there is not yet an option, calculating the gravity and attraction/physics between the thousands of particles would fry your computer.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
I think it would be possible to simulate thousands of particles, if only each particle take up the least amount of processing power and memory. The same thing would have to apply to calculations. Each simulated calculation would need to be improved in a way that reduces the amount of memory and processing power they use.