Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Stars disappear when editing their surface temperature or luminosity  (Read 4981 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
I have tried to play around on editing stars that I imported into a new simulation. When choosing a random star or preset star like the Sun, those stars completely disappear when editing the surface temperature of luminosity.

At the moment, stars are so fiddly and glitchy because when you edit their luminosity and surface temperature they just disappear.

There is also a very common bug with stars that causes their habitable zones to not show up at all, especially on blue stars. Today, I have discovered another bug with a custom made star I made myself. The star is 4444 KM radius. It is a super dim brown dwarf star, I placed Mars in its orbit quite close, at 61000 KM away, and Mars was kicked out of its orbit and flew into outer space. The same thing happens with other planets as well.

There are so many weird bugs with stars that must be fixed. Another common bug for stars is that when placing a star into a new simulation, the simulation plays very slowly and causes my computer to lag a lot and slow down, at the point of crashing. Stars consume all the gigahertz on my 2GHz dual core laptop. My laptop has also 4GB RAM.

Stars have a strange sound as well. I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but it sounds that stars sing when adding them to a new simulation. Singing stars are not suppose to be heard in Universe Sandbox 2.

If you find more bugs with stars, please post them down here on this forum. We all want to hear your feedback and complaints on bugs for stars.

Thank you

unclejoeussr

• Leader of the Soviet Union
I agree, I have the same issue with stars disappearing and I find it extremely frustrating also I believe it was not a problem in earlier versions, for some reason they changed the settings and got rid of the "realistic" button which is what I believe caused the issue. I could be wrong, but either way this is a fairly major issue and needs to be addressed at some point in the future as it is enough to make me not want to even use the software.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
In my point of view, the realistic button was not needed anymore because you can unlock the radius from composition button and independently change the mass or radius. That should not be a problem when editing the star's surface temperature of luminosity. This bug on temperature and luminosity must be fixed as soon as possible. This is a very commonly occurring bug which is very annoying, so developers must look into the most occurring bugs and fix them first, before the less common ones.

unclejoeussr

• Leader of the Soviet Union
True I suppose your right the locking feature should have replaced the realistic button, however that is not how it currently works. As you are aware even if you lock a parameter, as soon as you edit the star it will just disappear at random.

I also agree they need to fix this bug ASAP it is game-breaking since stars are the core of the simulation.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Please notify the developer now that they need to fix the bug with the new "Radius from composition" button so that stars don't disappear when editing their surface temperature, luminosity, and other settings.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Thanks for reporting. Can either of you provide specific steps for reproducing this issue? These would be very helpful in tracking down any issues with editing star properties. For example, I don't see any issue when simply adjusting Temperature or Luminosity for the Sun. If there's something more specific that causes this, it would be great to know!  :)

Please keep in mind that we do still have a new model coming for stellar evolution, which we hope will help create more dynamic and smooth changes in stars. We had to delay this a bit, but we're still working on it.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Thanks for working on the new model for stellar evolution. Please also add more star categories and types, including more star colors such as red and brown stars. Add black dwarfs as well in the list of stars.

When changing the surface temperature and luminosity with the Sun this bug does not occur. This bug only occurs when modifying the surface temperature and luminosity of random generated stars and custom made stars from rocky planets and gas giants. The bug causes stars to die out and disappear when changing their surface temperature and luminosity, even when modifying the other values such as density and the age of the star.