Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Orbit parent  (Read 3367 times)

Tobytja

Orbit parent
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »
How can I set an orbit parent for an object? I used the Orbit option when placing it, there was a line between the intended parent and the object I'm about to add, but when I add the object and inspect it, there is no orbit parent mentioned, which means I can't set parameters of its orbit.

JMBuilder

• The demand for memes is high.
Re: Orbit parent
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
I have this issue with orbits around barycenters. The planet orbits normally, but "show orbit" goes crazy and it can't be edited.

Tobytja

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »
I have this problem everywhere. Whether I want the body to orbit around a black hole, a star or a planet. I never see the parent mentioned and can't set orbit parameters

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
It has to do with the fact that the objects are not "on rails". The program only really shows an orbit when it thinks the orbit is completely stable (which is why the circumbinary star/planet systems have orbits that go crazy because sometimes the program sees it as stable due to the velocities and sometimes it doesn't) and the program edits orbits based on the velocities that are already present so if something has a velocity US2 doesn't think is stable, you won't be able to edit it. Making those planet's orbits right is a matter of skill and trial and error at the moment.

tkulogo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:24:26 AM »
The displayed orbit is just a calculation based on a single gravitational source and has nothing to do with the actual path the body will take. That being said, it sure would be nice if you could choose which gravitational source would be displayed. As it is now, any system with a binary orbital parent looks like crap. If you could choose the barycenter as the orbital parent, the orbits would at least be close to their actual path.