Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bug: Stars emit little-to-no light.  (Read 6696 times)

InfoBloe

• =]
Bug: Stars emit little-to-no light.
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
I just got back after a holiday and tuned into Universe Sandbox to see that 2.1.11 (I think thats it, il edit if wrong).
Anyway to cut to the chase, when I spawned the Sun, it wasnt emitting any light at close range however, when I moved out away the light appeared, but only just .
To see if this wasnt just a single bug affecting the sun, I checked out pollux.
Still wasnt emitting light...

(1st image is what it is now)
(2nd image is what it should look like)

sean2323

• We Space Now
Re: Bug: Stars emit little-to-no light.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »
there the same...

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »
In 2.0.11, there isn't light when you're close to the lighting body, probably so you can see it's texture and it doesn't just become one big light, which I think is a good thing.

At large distances, like over many AU's, I think the lighting is too weak though. If the bodies are drawn at their actual size, the Sun disappears in less than 1000 AU's, and you can't see VY Canis Majoris one light year away from it, and Eta Carinae fades away less than 5 ly away. It would be awesome if the light could make up for that.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:02:44 AM »
I think you should change the first one. It's the exact same.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
In 2.0.11, there isn't light when you're close to the lighting body, probably so you can see it's texture and it doesn't just become one big light, which I think is a good thing.

Yes. This is a new feature in 2.0.11 so that you can see detail when you're close to a star and because the glow made it hard to see planets in very close orbit (or in Chart Mode when they're all lined up).

At large distances, like over many AU's, I think the lighting is too weak though. If the bodies are drawn at their actual size, the Sun disappears in less than 1000 AU's, and you can't see VY Canis Majoris one light year away from it, and Eta Carinae fades away less than 5 ly away. It would be awesome if the light could make up for that.

You're right. I hope to fix this problem in the next release. Stars aren't bright enough when they're really small, where this wasn't a problem in 2.0.10.