Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I really think US2 should have a manual  (Read 6280 times)

jfri

I really think US2 should have a manual
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:21:51 AM »
Am I the only one to think this is something sorely missing ? US2 is a very complex program and I would like to have a manual where I can read about how to use all the features and how the interpret the results and how they were calculated.
I hope the developers makes a comprehensive manual covering every aspect of this program. Is there a chance we will have that ?

Physics_Hacker

Re: I really think US2 should have a manual
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
Well, this thread could be used as a sort of question thread about the program until an actual manual comes along eventually.

KimJammer

• Error: Null
    • My US2 Discord Server
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
Well, I understand that it definitely doesn't cover every aspect, but there is a tutorials section.

jfri

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:11:58 AM »
Well, I understand that it definitely doesn't cover every aspect, but there is a tutorials section.

It covers very little. They are far from sufficient. And a text based manual has advantages over tutorials. You could simply look up the things you wan't to know instead of going through a tutorial session until you reach the detail you want to know.   

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
We agree. As pointed out, we do have information in the tutorials, and we try to make the tooltips (when you hover a property or button) informative, and we occasionally write about features in our blog posts, but a more comprehensive and unified form of documentation would be very helpful (even for us on the team!).

We're in the early stages of planning and putting together a Wiki. We'll try to launch with the basics and then have the community help fill it in. This seems like the best way of moving forward for documenting something that continues to grow and change.  :)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »
Yes, I do agree with you. Universe Sandbox 2 should come with a PDF manual that is included in the download, on the root folder where the launch .exe files 32-bit and 64-bit start up files are located. A PDF manual would be a very good teaching resource to teach people on how to properly and thoroughly use Universe Sandbox 2 in depth.

KimJammer

• Error: Null
    • My US2 Discord Server
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:55:25 PM »
No offense, it would be informational, but a PDF might be a little boring to some people, but I think that the wiki idea is great!

jfri

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:33:01 AM »
We agree. As pointed out, we do have information in the tutorials, and we try to make the tooltips (when you hover a property or button) informative, and we occasionally write about features in our blog posts, but a more comprehensive and unified form of documentation would be very helpful (even for us on the team!).

We're in the early stages of planning and putting together a Wiki. We'll try to launch with the basics and then have the community help fill it in. This seems like the best way of moving forward for documenting something that continues to grow and change.  :)

I would say that if you want to use US2 as a space simulator and not a game comprehensive documentation is a must.
My initial testing of different simulations is very difficult to judge if they are accurate.
I would like to know how calculations are performed and what error sources there are. What underlying assumptions are being made ?
Some examples
I placed Venus Earth and Mars closer together around 1 AU to see if this would disturb their orbits ?
And also too see if the planets temperature would be habitable. I swapped Mars and Venus orbits.
I placed Earth around Alfa Centauri and also Jupiter. Result Jupiter was expelled from the system. The same result did I have for an older DOS based space simulator. Earth ended up being close to 100 deg C.
Particularly when it comes simulating climate and planetary temperatures I think it's imperative to know how results are calculated and what assumptions we have

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
As I said, we agree!  :)

Explaining the different systems that are simulated is important.

We have some information on our blog already that may be useful to you:
Climate http://universesandbox.com/blog/2014/10/climate/
N-body simulation http://universesandbox.com/blog/2016/02/n-body-problem/

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
Please understand the importance of having a PDF manual in Universe Sandbox 2 for giving information to users on how to use Universe Sandbox 2. I myself, does not know all the secrets and tricks to fully know how to use all of the features in Universe Sandbox 2. There are many features that are hidden from sight in Universe Sandbox 2 that people like me does not know how to use, or know where they are located. That's why, having a PDF manual guide on using Universe Sandbox 2 is a must have set of instructions for all people.

I do understand that fact that this PDF manual would have to be updated as soon as new features are being continuously added to Universe Sandbox 2. Updates should be provided in this PDF manual so that people can understand what has been added and also teach people on how to use the newly added features in Universe Sandbox 2.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
Please understand the importance of having a PDF manual in Universe Sandbox 2 for giving information to users on how to use Universe Sandbox 2. I myself, does not know all the secrets and tricks to fully know how to use all of the features in Universe Sandbox 2. There are many features that are hidden from sight in Universe Sandbox 2 that people like me does not know how to use, or know where they are located. That's why, having a PDF manual guide on using Universe Sandbox 2 is a must have set of instructions for all people.

I do understand that fact that this PDF manual would have to be updated as soon as new features are being continuously added to Universe Sandbox 2. Updates should be provided in this PDF manual so that people can understand what has been added and also teach people on how to use the newly added features in Universe Sandbox 2.

Let me quote something:
a PDF might be a little boring to some people

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »
No. A PDF will not be boring at all, because it will need to contain images to help people better understand how Universe Sandbox 2 looks and works like. This PDF manual will consist of both text and images, just like an illustrated book.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »
No. A PDF will not be boring at all, because it will need to contain images to help people better understand how Universe Sandbox 2 looks and works like. This PDF manual will consist of both text and images, just like an illustrated book.

Wiki > PDF

Because you can organize into pages and categories in a wiki