Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Automated flythrough of solar system  (Read 3533 times)

Ruebezahl

Automated flythrough of solar system
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
I was wondering how to set up an automated flight path. I would like to set up a sequence of waypoints where I automatically fly to different points in the solar system without having to interfere. Kind of like being in a sightseeing spaceship, sitting back and enjoying the scenery. How can this be done?

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Re: Automated flythrough of solar system
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »
This will probably be possible with the release of Update 21. I hope so too. Update 21 will be a massive update which will bring Universe Sandbox 2 to a whole new level. The engine upgrade in Update 20.5 is just a preparation towards Update 21 which will be released soon.

Ruebezahl

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:23:34 AM »
Bit surprised to hear that this is not a feature yet, as I would consider this a far more basic feature than, say, simulating explosions (especially for educational purposes, which is one major value of this software).

Anyway, looks like I will have to do something manually, as I need this rather soon. Thanks for your answer!

Ruebezahl

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:36:24 AM »
Oops, I actually found a software that does exactly what I need. Not going to advertise it here, but Google was my friend.  ;)

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
Bit surprised to hear that this is not a feature yet, as I would consider this a far more basic feature than, say, simulating explosions (especially for educational purposes, which is one major value of this software).

I believe SpaceEngine has that feature (which is perhaps what you found).

In Universe Sandbox ², we put an emphasis on simulation and interactivity. Software like SpaceEngine is great for touring our known universe (and that may be precisely what some are looking for), but with Universe Sandbox ², we're more interested in asking fantastical questions and conducting experiments.

For example, you can ask questions like "What if the Sun disappeared?" and see how the planets of our solar system lose their orbits and Earth freezes over. This isn't possible in other software where things like gravity and temperature aren't simulated.

That said, we agree that guided tours certainly can have educational value, and we've talked about adding something like that in the future. A crude way of accomplishing this in Universe Sandbox ² right now would be to save a simulation for every stop you have in mind, then you could progress through this series of sims. But the ability to set up automated cameras, events, and text boxes would definitely help with the immersion.  :)