Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Error: Missing Executable [FIXED]  (Read 9042 times)

Plasmic Physics

Error: Missing Executable [FIXED]
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »
I just tried to update to the latest version, and found that US2 won't start anymore. An error message displays when I try to launch US2:

An error occured while updating US2 (missing executable):
C:\Programs Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Universe Sandbox 2\Universe Sandbox.exe
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:07:32 AM by Plasmic Physics »

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Error: Missing Executable
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »
Sorry for the issue. I'm not sure what would cause that.

Can you please try verifying the files?

http://universesandbox.com/support/verify

Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »
After a failed validation, Stream redownloaded a file, but this made no difference. I still get the same error message.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »
On Steam's support page, they say it may have something to do with anti-virus software interfering. If Steam downloaded a file when verifying, then it's possible it downloaded the executable and then your AV software once again removed it. Here's more info on Steam's page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8676-EFLX-7453

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:00:38 AM »
I added the \Universe Sandbox 2 folder to the list of exceptions, and temporarily disabled my AV as an extra step before running the validation again. It still doesn't make a difference.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
Thanks for checking that. Are you running the 32-bit version? We had another report of a missing executable from a 32-bit user, so it seems possible that is the issue, as we slightly changed how that worked recently. I'll report this to the team and hopefully we can get this fixed soon.

If you'd like, you can run the older 20.4.1 version via the Betas tab while we figure this out: http://universesandbox.com/support/changeversion

Sorry again for the issue, and thanks for your patience.

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
As a matter of fact, I am running the 32it version. I tried to troubleshoot for myself before posting here, and did actually notice that the beta versions work fine. I just didn't figure that it was worth noting here.

I'll think I'll follow your suggestion. Please let me know when I'm able to update to the current version when it's ready.

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
You will need to disable the test beta versions so that Update 21 automatically updates Universe Sandbox 2 when this update is released. Update 21 will be a huge update and will hopefully fix lots of bugs and glitches, including errors with starting up Universe Sandbox 2. Planet grids and lasers will come with Update 21 in Universe Sandbox 2. Planets grids will make temperature variations across planets so that temperature can be more realistic rather than the average temperature which is now the current system for temperature.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »
I'm sorry about this problem.

If you restart Steam, this should now be fixed.

Because of a change in the game engine we use, we could no longer include both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the same folder but neglected to move the pointer in Steam to this new location (we moved the 32-bit version and left the 64-bit version where it was).

Thanks for letting us know!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »
The 64-bit version of Universe Sandbox 2 is better because it can allocate more RAM. Hopefully, the 32-bit version of Universe Sandbox 2 should be usable sometime in the near future when Update 21 comes out.

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »
Dan: Thank you for taking the time personally addressing this issue. I restarted Stream, and used a steam://flushconfig command before restarting my system. The error message is still present following a file validation, but has now changed to .../Universe Sandbox x32.exe. I notice that in the directory has a folder called x32 containing the executable being called. Perhaps the launcher should be calling .../x32/Universe Sandbox x32.exe instead?

Cesare: At this stage, I tend to believe that the 64-bit is not only better but is essential for optimum performance. With the 32-bit version, if I have more than just a few stars active at one time, my computer initiates an emergency shutdown procedure in a matter of minutes due to overheating processors, even if I disable every graphics intensive component of the simulation that I can.

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 08:55:17 PM »
Dan: I would like to retract my previous comment. Since posting it, the issue appears to have been resolved. All the same same, thank you.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
Yes, I know that the 64-bit version of Universe Sandbox 2 is for optimum performance. That's why I recommended you to use it. If you really want to get the very best of Universe Sandbox 2, use it for an ultra powerful desktop PC, not a laptop because desktop PCs are much faster than laptops and have much better performance and much more graphics for simulators and games.

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 09:56:14 PM »
I would use the 64-bit version if I could, but unfortunately, I don't have a 64-bit OS installed.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Error: Missing Executable [FIXED]
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
Plasmic Physics, glad it's working now. Dan made a second fix after the first one, and all seems good now. Thanks again for your patience and for reporting. :)