Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Habitable zone of very large stars  (Read 8847 times)

vapblack

Habitable zone of very large stars
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
How come, when I put a very large star (200+ sun size) and try to view the zone it doesn't come up.

JMBuilder

• The demand for memes is high.
Re: Habitable zone of very large stars
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
From what I understand, stars of larger phases than main sequence emit too much lethal radiation. Technically, there is no habitable zone for these stars, at least for life as we know it.

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
That is a glitch because even very hot and very large custom made stars have a habitable zone. On some large stars that are super hot, you need to zoom out lightyears away before beginning to see the habitable zone appear.

The Universe Sandbox 2 developers are aware of this bug, so if you find more bugs about habitable zones for stars, then, all you need to do is report it in this forum and also on the Universe Sandbox 2 feedback page.

vapblack

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
That is a glitch because even very hot and very large custom made stars have a habitable zone. On some large stars that are super hot, you need to zoom out lightyears away before beginning to see the habitable zone appear.

The Universe Sandbox 2 developers are aware of this bug, so if you find more bugs about habitable zones for stars, then, all you need to do is report it in this forum and also on the Universe Sandbox 2 feedback page.

Good to know, thamks a lot for that.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »
You're welcome.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »
From what I understand, stars of larger phases than main sequence emit too much lethal radiation. Technically, there is no habitable zone for these stars, at least for life as we know it.

Agreed, such large stars put out way too much UV and possibly X-rays for a planet to every hope to block with a magnetosphere.

jfri

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:04:24 AM »

Agreed, such large stars put out way too much UV and possibly X-rays for a planet to every hope to block with a magnetosphere.

First UV and X-rays are not charged particles and thus not blocked by a magnetosphere. But an atmosphere with an ozone layer. why not especially a thicker atmosphere.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »

First UV and X-rays are not charged particles and thus not blocked by a magnetosphere. But an atmosphere with an ozone layer. why not especially a thicker atmosphere.

Ah, yes, true. Sorry, I sometimes get those processes confused (though they are pretty related since atmospheres seem to be pretty thin if a planet has no magnetosphere unless the atmosphere itself can produce a pseudo-magnetosphere as has been suggested for Venus, so a planet with no magnetosphere is pretty unlikely to have an atmosphere with an ozone layer...)

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
There are planets out there that are very close to their stars, but fortunately have super powerful and large magnetosphere. Those magnetospheres can be extremely dense and thick that provides a super powerful shield that blocks all the particles from entering the planet's atmosphere.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
There are planets out there that are very close to their stars, but fortunately have super powerful and large magnetosphere. Those magnetospheres can be extremely dense and thick that provides a super powerful shield that blocks all the particles from entering the planet's atmosphere.

But that's only likely if the planet is large (Mercury doesn't have a magnetic field, but it is also small) and even then, it requires a decent rotation speed and other factors, so not even every large planet will have a strong magnetosphere...I mean, if we're talking gas giant size then yes, it generally will have a strong magnetosphere, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about terrestrial planets here, right? .-.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 01:26:06 AM »
Yes, its true that large terrestrial planets can support strong and large magnetosphere.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
I'm guessing that the habitable zones of very large stars ingame show where the radiation isn't lethal enough to prevent life from forming, showing why those habitable zones have no blue.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 10:08:47 PM »
There is a glitch, however, because those habitable zones don't show to blue zone. The blue zone must be show as well. Please make a report of this blue zone glitch to let developers know what's wrong, and they'll apply a bug fix to them.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
 ;D
There is a glitch, however, because those habitable zones don't show to blue zone. The blue zone must be show as well. Please make a report of this blue zone glitch to let developers know what's wrong, and they'll apply a bug fix to them.

Ugh. Does everything that is not absolutely and completely intuitive have to be reported as a bug and "fixed" even if it's intentional? .-.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
;D

Ugh. Does everything that is not absolutely and completely intuitive have to be reported as a bug and "fixed" even if it's intentional? .-.

Have to agree here. Cesare is always exaggerating.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
You cant have too little radiation.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »
You cant have too little radiation.
Cesare is always exaggerating.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »
Look, I am not making a fool of myself. I am not exaggerating. When I find glitches, I report them as soon as I find them.

The blue zone that is missing from stars is a glitch. That's why I have reported it. Sometimes when creating custom made stars, the zones do not show up at all, even when the star is selected, and when zooming out very far.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
The habitable zone on large stars is to show where a planet is safe from radiation, NOT THE TEMPERATURE.

The blue zone shows up otherwise.

unclejoeussr

• Leader of the Soviet Union
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
Having a wiki or manual would be super helpful to clear things like this up. JS.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
The three zones of large blue stars should be there to indicate temperature, as well as radiation. For the Sun, when placing planets in the red, green or blue zones, the temperature on planets behave normally corresponding to the temperature of the zones. That's how all stars and custom made stars zones should function like.

The developers must realize that there are lots of bugs with zones that must be fixed as soon as they can.