Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Halo  (Read 3421 times)

Mike

• I cant always say its going to be better tomorrow
Halo
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
Anybody here play any of the halo games? What did you think of them?

Bernier77

• Philosophy, Art, Production
Re: Halo
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:34:21 PM »
I think they are both over-rated and under-rated in their respective fields.

The first game was really trend-setting in it's time, and to me is still one of the funnest games (especially campaign) to play. 

The second game seemed to me as sort of "rushed", as in I found that they were really trying to appeal to their audience a bit too hard.  Still and epic game, and by far the best multiplayer experience of all 3.

Third one is just visually stunning and finishes off the trilogy with the covenant really well.

All in all I think the story was amazing, I can't stress that enough.  There's so much symbolism (to me at least) in the whole plot, that I just think most people aren't intelectually aware (or explorative) enough to see and relate to real world events both past and present.  That's what I was reffering to when I said the games were under-rated.

I find that they have sort of botched the multiplayer balance on their latest release, and it revolves too much around power weapons, and who can get to them first.  Or for instance who can sit in one spot the longest with a shotgun and get cheap kills when someone walks around the corner.  Still fun though, and as a mapper for computer games I find the forge mode brings a lot to the table in terms of your ability to keep your interest in the game and bring new experiences to the table (same for the game-type customisation).

All in all a good series, but sometimes I find myself wondering why they develloped certain aspects of the gameplay the way they are on the last release, but hey, what doesn't have it's minor flaws.

Mike

• I cant always say its going to be better tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:46:43 AM »
Very well written Bernier. I agree with a lot of what you said. Halo's storyline especially. It's put together really well and has a lot of memorable moments. The music is fantastic as well. And I also agree on the emphasis power weapons. But as long as your handy with a BR, you still have a chance.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:53:16 AM by Mike »

Bernier77

• Philosophy, Art, Production
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »
Yea, I especially liked in Halo 3, when *spoiler* they are on the ship at the end, the exploding ring is slowly consuming everything in it's explosion behind them, and the master chief says to Cortana "We're gonna make it", and as if she knew what he was doing she just says "It's been an honor serving with you John".  That really got to me as a really well thought out moment.

And then if you watch past ALL the credits on legendary, you see that they've gone through the portal to another planet, and it just looms under them in an ominous lighting.  Pretty epic stuff, and has been making me wonder what will happen in Halo ODST for a while now.

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:57:18 PM »
It isn't so much Halo 3's fault about power weapons. I believe it's more from people learning from the old games and rushing toward the guns. If Halo 3 was new and wasn't a sequel I doubt that there be as much power weapon rushing.

Flandre Scarlet-chan

• Nii-san... ...let's become one.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
Anyone is going to get Halo: Reach?

Flashstar

• The pic says it all XD
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
i got the beta and its AWSOME i'm so buying it ;D