Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: more collision modes.  (Read 10267 times)

brin

more collision modes.
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
how about adding a new collision mode. for example, if a moon hit another moon it would explode into dust and smaller rocks, instead of just combining.

loving this software by the way, im interested about how long its taken you to develope.

brandon8621

Re: more collision modes.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
its coll but it would probably be awile before that because all the graphics to make i and the script to put it on but i like it  ;D

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:17:33 PM »
brin,

That's a great idea and something I've actually had working (very simplistically) in the past (but I disabled it because it was fairly crash prone at the time). Adding a combine mode that breaks bodies apart on impact is on the list of features to add in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Lucas

• Physics addicted
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
That would be a great idea

looseskrewz

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
I also think this would be a great idea....it is almost imperative.

brin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »
cool, i look forward to that update.   :)

Meerkat

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Sounds epic but incredibly hard too.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
The basic code already exists it's just a matter of combining it all together in a smooth way.

i.e.: You can break apart a body into 13 pieces by setting the Explode velocity to 0 and clicking "Explode". It's a matter of setting this up to happen automatically.

mattie

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
It would be neat if collisions that took place above a certain speed would result in explosions, while ones below that certain speed would result in combining. It'd be fun to inject a large body into a rotating disc of moons orbiting in the opposite direction, watching all the little explosions.

OmegaRed

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »
mattie,

download one of the .xml files I posted in this thread ... http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,9.0.html

Imediately pause the simulation and zoom so you can see all the objects.  Turn off trails, the background, and labels, set body size to realistic (or just turn them off an turn on highlights), and change the color mode to velocity.  Ensure that collision mode is combine, and create new dust is ON.  Unpause and enjoy the fireworks of dust.  Not quite what you wanted but still cool!

mattie

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »
OmegaRed,

thanks for sharing, that was fun. The dust is beautiful :)