Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Prehistoric Sea Levels for Earth  (Read 6057 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Prehistoric Sea Levels for Earth
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
I have been thinking of how amazing it would be to travel back millions, and even billions of years ago to see the prehistoric sea levels, continents such as Pangea and even the birth of the Earth.

Universe Sandbox 2 should make it possible in the near future to be able to simulate prehistoric sea levels, continental drifts and even the early earth when it was still in its final stages of formation.

Prehistoric sea levels - images from Google:

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Re: Prehistoric Sea Levels for Earth
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »
The developers must add a prehistoric Earth that displays lower sea levels dating back to the last Ice Age 20,000 years ago when the sea level was at its lowest during this period of time. As you can see from the map I posted above, England, Ireland and France were all joined together as a continent, Indonesia was also a continent instead of small islands, and Australia and New Guinea were joined together by land.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:16:22 PM »
Just go to the materials tab, find water and decrease it a slight amount (very slight!) and it will lower sea levels. Change the albedo of Earth to be higher (closer to 1.00) until it fluctuates around the average temperature of Earth back in the Pleistocene and there you go, a simulation of Earth during that time. You can change the Earths age by 20000 years (less) if you want but I see no reason that would make a difference.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
I know how to lower sea levels and done it before with Earth, but the landmasses are still split apart as they are today with some drained water levels.

The problem is that I want to re-create exactly how the landmasses were like by having them joined as they were 20,000 years ago during the Ice Age period. Even if you drain some of Earth's oceans, you can still see the land as it looks today, that's the problem.

A prehistoric Earth during the Ice Age time of 20,000 years ago would not have the ground erosion that would have split some landmasses into separate islands like England, Ireland, Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia. Everything would be perfectly joined as a single solid landmass.

That is the reason why I ask for the need for developers to add a prehistoric Earth from 20,000 years ago into the list of "planets" in Universe Sandbox 2.

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
Can you please, not making two posts on the same topic? Why can't you just group the two replies into one?
It's already getting annoying

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
I think you need to lower the sea levels a bit more than what you think, then, because lowering them gives the exact effect you're talking about. Here's some pictures.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »
Yes, I probably took a guess. Yeah, I guess you are correct. The prehistoric sea levels during the period of 20,000 years ago was a bit lower than in my simulation.

The amount of extra land that were available 20,000 years ago was much greater than it is today. I wish that today's world would have that much land for 7+ billion people to live on.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
Yes, I probably took a guess. Yeah, I guess you are correct. The prehistoric sea levels during the period of 20,000 years ago was a bit lower than in my simulation.

The amount of extra land that were available 20,000 years ago was much greater than it is today. I wish that today's world would have that much land for 7+ billion people to live on.

Unfortunately, while there was a lot of extra land around the continents, there was a lot less land up north...you can't exactly grow crops on an ice sheet. So while Asia and Austraila would get a lot of extra land I don't feel like it would be worth the tradeoff of having, say, the great plains here in America be about the same as Siberia.