Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What if question about collisions.  (Read 11303 times)

raxo2222

What if question about collisions.
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
What if Sun/White Dwarf/Neutron Star collided with UY Scuti - largest known star, that has over 7 AU of radius.
Lets say in moment of collision stars would travel dead into center of UY Scuti at 10% of c.

Unrelated question:
What if 50 km ball of Iron flew trough Venus atmosphere at speed of 100 km/s?
Smallest distance between surfaces of these objects would be 20 km.
Iron asteroid would start to rotate for sure.
What effects would be on Venus surface, where this iron asteroid flew at closest point?

raxo2222

Re: What if question about collisions.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:19:34 AM »
What a shame no one replied. I thought community likes what if XKCD style questions.

I guess Univese Sandbox will be able to simulate things like this - solid object crashing trough atmosphere without scratching targets surface or sun/white dwarf/neutron srtars crashing into very big and diffuse stars.

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:34:19 AM »
It would probably continue to travel into the star before it becomes one with UY Scuti. If the object is a neutron star, it could probably travel all the way into the center of the star, creating a Thorne-Zytkow object, a neutron star surrounded by a red giant

raxo2222

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
wonder if it would be possible to travel trough star by stalking white dwarf/neutron star/black hole as it plows trough star at 1% of light speed.

It would be equivalent of shooting star - big diffuse star being atmosphere and smaller denser object being meteor :p

Smence

-
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:57:59 AM »
I have a question on the details of this equation.

First, why multiply c times the first equation floorfn/c = n mod r and second, how does fn drop out all by itself in the last equation where fn = c x floorfn/c  fn mod c?