Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Create Folders for Organizing Saved Objects  (Read 3391 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Create Folders for Organizing Saved Objects
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:12 PM »
There is a very important feature that is missing from Universe Sandbox 2. That is the ability to create folders to organize saved objects. Folders make it easy to organize objects the way you want them to be sorted. For example, you can create a folder called stars to put all your saved stars. Another folder for blue terrestrial planets etc. Sub-folders can also be used for organizing objects by sub-category.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Re: Create Folders for Organizing Saved Objects
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
Folders are absolutely needed for users to be able to organize their saved objects into specific category, just like folders in Windows 7.

Just think yourself how difficult it would be to search and find a saved object in the saved objects area if you have thousands of saved objects. By having folders to organize objects in Universe Sandbox 2, it makes it a lot easier to find the object you are trying to find to add to your simulation, as well as getting rid of clutter and slowing down the user interface of Universe Sandbox 2. The accumulation of too many saved objects in the same location would cause the interface of Universe Sandbox 2 to slow down and makes too much clutter.

Being organized in Universe Sandbox 2 is just as important as it is to keep your files and folders/sub-folders organized in Windows 7. We need good housekeeping in Universe Sandbox 2.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
Name your planets based on characteristics, like "Desert" or "Ice" and add a number according to what number it falls into as you save it, as in, if you have 57 Desert planets, save the new one as 58, and you won't ever have trouble finding a particular planet. If you're saving stars, do the same thing except using stellar classification (M6V 26, etc.) and with other stuff...well, just basically put stuff into categories and then rename them when you use them. And how would you even save into a particular category? How would you code such a thing? And why would you even need to if you can save in categories like I said?

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
I personally think that folders would be much better to organize objects in Universe Sandbox 2.