Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brown dwarfs  (Read 6332 times)

Nookie

Brown dwarfs
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:24:24 AM »
Hello, I have been creating a real universe for quite a long time with the most realistic arrangement of all objects and their properties. At the moment, I have created about 450 objects, 350 of them are solar system objects, and the rest are nearby star systems (some with known at the moment exoplanets). With such a large number of objects, FPS strongly sags (up to 7-10), especially in the solar system (if viewed from a long distance, everything is fine). But I wanted to learn something about the creation of stars, in particular brown dwarfs. These are complex, often single objects, which have the characteristics of both stars and gas giants. Just when creating such an object, if I initially take the star as the basis and expose the temperature I need to it, and after I save and load this storage, its properties change under the properties of the planet, i.e. a separate tab is added - the temperature and in this tab there is an effective temperature, even if I initially exposed a different temperature to the brown dwarf, my temperature will change to an effective temperature with the passage of time. And the difference between the effective temperature and the temperature I need can be more than 1000K. In general, my problem is that it is very difficult to create brown dwarfs =).
P.S. I would like to thank the game developers and all the staff involved in this project and to you, for your help and answers. I plan to study for astrophysics and I'm a little obsessed with space and so I try to create the most realistic universe with the exact coordinates of all objects =)) Good luck with your further development, always happy to help you, if that! ( My Eng is bad, so I used google translator)

tkulogo

Re: Brown dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »
I use brown dwarfs, so let’s log the steps to make ones like I use.
Start a new system.
Add Jupiter.
Turn off “Radius from composition.”
Lock radius.
Set mass to 40 Jupiter masses.
Set age to 1 billion years.
Look up temperature for a brown dwarf of that mass and age.
Go to materials tab and set temperature to 1150K
The temperature changes itself to 1219K, hmm…
That’s pretty close to what I came up with and within a reasonable margin of error for my value. I see it adjusts the temperature based to the age of the brown dwarf. I don’t know how to turn this simulation off, but at least it appears to be accurate. I think this might be relatively new functionality, because I don’t remember the brown dwarfs setting their own temperature when I added mine to my system a few releases ago.

tkulogo

Re: Brown dwarfs
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
After a little more experimentation, the simulation doesn’t seem to account for deuterium ignition, which is unfortunate, because that can double both the radius and temperature of a brown dwarf, and can occur up to billions of years after the brown dwarf’s initial formation.