Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: import JPL small-body database objects?  (Read 2588 times)

funkysandman

import JPL small-body database objects?
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
I want to bring in an asteroid with the orbital elements given by the JPL small-body database into a solar system model.  Is this possible?

Physics_Hacker

Re: import JPL small-body database objects?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 03:57:03 PM »
Yes, but you'll first have to place an object of similar mass in the approximate orbit you want and then tweak the parameters to match the asteroid you want, such as name, mass, and the orbital elements as well as other things depending on how thorough you want to be.

funkysandman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »
I suppose, would be nice to have an xml import or something because it's kind of tedious and prone to me screwing up the values

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »
Where do we get the XML files, though? NASA/JPL doesn't provide XML files of all the small body databases. And as far as I know, I don't think NASA even recognizes Universe Sandbox 2. I guess somebody or some group of people can independently write XML files of each and every single of the small body databases on their own and publishing it, but there are probably hundreds upon thousands of objects that are recognized by the small body database, and they're updated on a daily basis, so whoever actually does that thing deserves a special reward