Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: simple question about adding solar system objects to solar model  (Read 5614 times)

funkysandman

simple question about adding solar system objects to solar model
« on: December 10, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
Newbie question - how do I add an existing solar system object into a model that has it's parent in it without placing freehand?  I want it to go where it should be based on the simulation time.  An example would be to add Earth's moon to the included solar system simulation. 

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: simple question about adding solar system objects to solar model
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
For known systems, you can right-click on an object to open its Properties panel, select the Actions tab, then click "Add Moons to Planet" or "Add Planets to Star."

funkysandman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
thanks, also interested in adding known asteroids in the solar system

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »
For known systems, you can right-click on an object to open its Properties panel, select the Actions tab, then click "Add Moons to Planet" or "Add Planets to Star."

The feature is all good, but is there a way so that I could just add the major moons only? Like, I don't need all of the small asteroids that are orbiting Jupiter, it gets messy, and if you have a crappy computer, it can get really laggy. I really hope you're going to implement this in the next update, thanks

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
All the asteroids must stay in the Solar System simulation. All you need to do is use a faster computer to properly simulate the Solar System with all its moons and asteroids.

This complete simulation of our Solar System must stay in Universe Sandbox 2 because people learning about our Solar System must be aware of all the minor objects including small moons and asteroids. This simulation is very beneficial for school students and students learning science about our Solar System.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »
All the asteroids must stay in the Solar System simulation. All you need to do is use a faster computer to properly simulate the Solar System with all its moons and asteroids.

This complete simulation of our Solar System must stay in Universe Sandbox 2 because people learning about our Solar System must be aware of all the minor objects including small moons and asteroids. This simulation is very beneficial for school students and students learning science about our Solar System.

No one said the simulation had to be hanged, but there should be alternate versions for people with less capable computers that for one reason or another (I'd say usually cost but I'm not everyone so I wouldn't know) can't get a better one, in which case getting a better computer isn't the solution because they can't. The devs understand this and do their best to optimize (I mean, that's pretty much what all the updates between more content-filled ones even are...yeah there's some stuff they add in but it's mostly bug fixes and optimizing) so there's a chance they might do this too.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
The feature is all good, but is there a way so that I could just add the major moons only? Like, I don't need all of the small asteroids that are orbiting Jupiter, it gets messy, and if you have a crappy computer, it can get really laggy. I really hope you're going to implement this in the next update, thanks

You can load the sim "Solar System Major Moons," then delete the asteroids by clicking Tools > More > Delete All Particles/Dust. There will be some lingering minor bodies, but it shouldn't be too hard to remove those.

Keep in mind that this many moons will still make for a very computationally expensive sim, as the accuracy needed to keep them in orbit is higher than, for example, keeping the planets around the sun. Still, removing the asteroids should help improve the performance a bit.