Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Change the order of radius before mass  (Read 3637 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Change the order of radius before mass
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
The radius is what gives celestial objects their actual comparison size. The radius must be placed first and the mass second, because I always use the radius to be accurate on the size of celestial objects on how big or small they are. The radius must be placed first in the basic tab and on the chart mode as well.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Re: Change the order of radius before mass
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
As you can see in the illustrated image above, the Earth's total radius in (diameter) is 12,742 km.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »
It's literally right there. You don't have to scroll or anything. Radius doesn't need to be first just because you want it to, too: mass makes more sense because its the amount of stuff that makes up the object. A one-Earth-mass water planet is going to have a larger radius than a one-Earth-mass purely iron planet, despite having the exact same amount of stuff making it up. Its more consistent, so no, radius should be right where it is, second. And density third because its calculated depending on how massive the object is and the radius of it (the water planet is less dense than the iron planet)

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 01:36:00 AM »
The reason why I wanted to have the radius first is because when I compare the sizes of objects they are lined up from biggest to smallest.

EnderCjh

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
You're able to change the way they are lined up

This is what it looks like when you have mass selected to compare mass.

This is what it looks like when you want to compare radius by selecting radius

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »
Yes, I know how to use the chart mode to compare radius, but, like I said before, it would be better to have a diameter measurement added to Universe Sandbox 2 for calculating the real physical size of celestial objects by width.