Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Translate the coordinates  (Read 3579 times)

Nookie

Translate the coordinates
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
Is it possible to translate the coordinates of the declination and right ascension of a star, as well as knowing its distance from the Earth to the system x, y, z?

tkulogo

Re: Translate the coordinates
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
Yes, it’s all trigonometry. I’m not going to try to write you a trig class specifically for US², but I can at least state that it can be done. You need knowledge of right triangles, in other words Sine, Cosine, Tangent, and the Pythagorean theorem. Luckily, you don’t know to use spherical trig. That is however needed to give moons’ orbits a specific tilt to a planet’s equatorial plane.

Nookie

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:52:01 AM »
Yes, it’s all trigonometry. I’m not going to try to write you a trig class specifically for US², but I can at least state that it can be done. You need knowledge of right triangles, in other words Sine, Cosine, Tangent, and the Pythagorean theorem. Luckily, you don’t know to use spherical trig. That is however needed to give moons’ orbits a specific tilt to a planet’s equatorial plane.
Could you give me some source or resource, where is the training for this translation or any formulas? I understand trigonometry at the middle level.

Nookie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
I found the necessary formulas and I already managed to make a translation, thanks for the help.