Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Habitable Zones  (Read 12746 times)

tkulogo

Habitable Zones
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
Does anyone know how accurate the habitable zones are in Universe Sandbox²? When I calculate them manually, I get slight different result for most stars, and vastly different results for white and brown dwarfs. My system has a fresh hot white dwarf that shows a habitable zone 1000 AU across. My brown dwarfs don’t show any habitable zones, despite temperatures of over 1300K. Are these known issues? Is my math wrong?

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Habitable Zones
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
The habitable zones should be pretty accurate for most types of stars, though I recall there being issues with other types, for which they may be wildly inaccurate or not even show up at all. I know other users have pointed this out with brown dwarfs specifically. We should be able to do better with this with the new stellar evolution model, which is delayed a bit while work on Planet Grids.

tkulogo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:02 PM »
Thank you, I'll assume my math is close enough then. They're all close except for the brown dwarfs and the white dwarf that has such a vast habitable zone that it just can't be right.

Titanic

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
Also, take a look at this.
Snowball earth, at the middle of the green part in the habitable zone after years and years.

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 09:23:17 AM »
I'd also like to point out about how the habitable zone isn't actually in the green part of the zone, but instead on a convergence between the green part and the red part. Any planet that are placed within the green zone would freeze below 0°C, which has been bugging me since I bought the game

electricpants

• Is it bad that I like ammonia planets better?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:44:57 AM »
the habitable zone isn't actually in the green part of the zone

Dude, I've put way too many of my habitable planets near the outer edge of the green zone, and yes, by habitable I mean covered with some of that nice liquid water stuff.

The habitable zone just provides a baseline as to where habitable planets are likely to be found, in reality you need an atmosphere to hold onto water and up the temperature so that the water turns into a liquid.

In fact, you can make atmospheres thick enough to provide enough warmth outside the habitable zone, like Venus.

Venus would actually need to be at around Jupiter's orbit to be habitable-ish. I say that because you'd still have the deadly, crushing atmosphere blocking your way.

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
On blue stars, habitable zones are sometimes lightyears away. I am not sure if this is normal, but this should only happen if you manually increase the star's luminosity and brightness to an extremely high value.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
On many stars, other than the Sun, the cold blue zone does not show up. That is a glitch that was there for a very long time and was never fixed.

UniversePoker777

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
The habitable zones are too cold. Even if you put a planet between too hot and habitable, it still would be only 30 degrees Fahrenheit, enough to make all water ice, because water's freezing point is 32 degrees Fahrenheit!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:10:09 AM by UniversePoker777 »

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »
I know that. Even if you place a planet in the red hot zone it still freezes. That is a bug so its not working correctly. It must be fixed.

UniversePoker777

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
The Earth is freezing in the hot zone!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
I know. This bug must be fixed. Just report it.