Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to use custom textures for galaxies?  (Read 3082 times)

Titanic

How to use custom textures for galaxies?
« on: November 11, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
So, I got this game for my birthday, and I love it. I've also read this forum a bit as well, and I have one question- how do I use custom textures for galaxies? I mean, I just don't know how.

P.S: Why is that when I turn a star's radius, say the sun, up past about 9 times it's diameter, it turns into a gas giant and then disappears! WHY?
I've also noticed things that are massive enough turn into black holes. What is the limit?

felipe

Re: How to use custom textures for galaxies?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 01:39:13 AM »
well... you cant even put custom textures on the current version

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
Main question: Well, um...With the current version, using custom textures hasn't been added...As far as US Legacy, I'm pretty sure it's possible but I have no idea  how.

PS question: Probably a bug, and you can't make somethings radius 9 times its diameter, thats just not how it works XD But otherwise I'm not sure what you mean, but again, its probably a bug. As far as the black holes go, the limit depends on the objects mass and the current gravity strength so there isn't really a hard limit, just  the object's Schwarzschild radius: The point where an object's gravitational pull grows beyond the strength where light can escape, and in the case of US2, an object becomes a black hole if the Schwarzschild radius reaches the object's surface or if the surface shrinks to become smaller than it.

Canche

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »
Main question: Well, um...With the current version, using custom textures hasn't been added...As far as US Legacy, I'm pretty sure it's possible but I have no idea  how.

PS question: Probably a bug, and you can't make somethings radius 9 times its diameter, thats just not how it works XD But otherwise I'm not sure what you mean, but again, its probably a bug. As far as the black holes go, the limit depends on the objects mass and the current gravity strength so there isn't really a hard limit, just  the object's Schwarzschild radius: The point where an object's gravitational pull grows beyond the strength where light can escape, and in the case of US2, an object becomes a black hole if the Schwarzschild radius reaches the object's surface or if the surface shrinks to become smaller than it.

So basically the Schwarzschild radius is the point at which an object theoretically becomes a black hole?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »

So basically the Schwarzschild radius is the point at which an object theoretically becomes a black hole?

Pretty much, yeah, when the object's radius/diameter gets smaller than that it is a black hole.

Titanic

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
A bit late, but I know that if something gets massive enough, it's gravity should be strong enough to trap light.