Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox 3  (Read 182982 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Universe Sandbox 3
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
It is time to greatly improve Universe sandbox 2 by releasing another version which will greatly improve its graphics. My suggestion is to have the next release as Universe Sandbox 3 with super realistic graphics. When landing on a planet's surface, instead of viewing a fake view on a surface, the planets surface will have fully textured landscapes, like in Space Engine and moving waves on oceans and other bodies of water.

Currently, Universe Sandbox 2 run on an engine called Unity3D. Space Engine runs on an engine called OpenGL, so I would suggest Universe Sandbox 3 to run on OpenGL as well, because it will have much better performance and run much, much faster with super realistic graphics.

Universe Sandbox 2 has so many bugs and technical glitches, so when developers fix them, they cause other bugs and errors as well. This simulator needs to be fully rewritten on OpenGL so that it has a much stronger foundation for much better performance.

Below there are two images. The first image is a planet view from "Universe Sandbox 2" and the second image is a planet view from "Space Engine".

kgor93

Re: Universe Sandbox 3
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
That's waaaay down the list of priorities. Do you know how much work it would take to model planets? One thing at a time. We need to get the performance optimized first because there's really nothing that can run universe sandbox without hiccups.

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
There's no need to call anything Universe Sandbox 3 at this point in time. I don't agree with you on the bugs issue. We've come a long way already and we've fixed countless bugs. Universe Sandbox 2 is still in Alpha and has a long way to go. Alpha and Early Access games aren't meant to be stable, this is why it's labelled as such. Procedurally generated surfaces is actually a planned feature and belong to "Universe Sandbox 2." They've not given any indication of the 3rd game. Let's get past Alpha first before doing anything of this nature.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
I do understand that features are being added at "one thing at a time" sequence. After update 21 has been fully finished and added to Universe Sandbox 2, it will be the right time to have the next version released as Universe Sandbox 3. Universe Sandbox 3 will need to run on a much better engine, so OpenGL would become a much better engine to use rather than Unity3D.

emarksmi

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
It is time to greatly improve Universe sandbox 2 by releasing another version which will greatly improve its graphics.

I'd respectfully disagree.  The question really is "What I Universe Sandbox?"  If it is to provide a simulation of orbital dynamics, stellar evolution, supernovas, galactic motion, etc., then the graphics are fluff.  Improving the modeling of black holes, dealing with galaxies and dark matter, collisions and Roche Limits, etc., are all modeling of real physics.  Improving them, adding additional functionality for dealing with nebulae, gravitational collapse, and greater numbers of objects while improving simulation performance are at the core of the program.

Anything on the surface of a plant is "made up."  You can get the sizes right and make some guesses (and they are guesses" about what an ocean MIGHT look like based on atmosphere, star type, and ocean composition, but they are all guesses and none of it is real.  The core of the program is a PHYSICS simulation and I really think that improving that is a higher priority than making made up planets surfaces look pretty.

JMO.

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Give them some time, don't torture the developers
But more importantly, don't torture my computer

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »
I am not torturing anyone. I have good ideas and suggestions that can help.

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
Like others have said, that's way down the road. The gfx have been improved more than once already, and as a retail release is still years ahead, I'm sure it will again. I don't know much about the technical aspect, but I suspect the devs have chosen a platform that allows for gfx upgrades in the future. No need to call it US3 either.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
OK. If you say so.

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 06:52:33 AM »
I think that versions 10 thru 14 of Universe Sandbox ² gave the option to use OpenGL to do some of the calculations. So computers with better video cards could switch from Regular CPU to the video card.  In the current version  the options are NativeCPU and ManagedCPU. I think that they are planning on looking at using OpenGL again to see it can speed up the game.

OpenGL can be used with Unity3D.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 11:28:08 AM »
Simulations must be speeded up when accelerating time.

tkulogo

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »
it would be nice if past a certain speed, it would just consider small orbits stable and add the satellite mass to the parent for all calculations, or at least have that as an option.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »
Simulations should be just as accurate when speeding up time. The accuracy of Universe Sandbox 2 must be improved and bugs removed to make sure that all simulations work properly when speeding up time to billions or perhaps trillions of years per second.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
I want a much better Universe Sandbox 2 simulator.

Froggy

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 05:07:41 AM »
I want a much better Universe Sandbox 2 simulator.
We all do, but it takes time and money to add features! You can't just easily add stuff. This is in Alpha anyways, so if you be patient towards release, it might be way more realistic, and feature-full! But the thing is, we don't know. It's still a long ways away.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
How long will it take for Universe Sandbox 2 to be finished?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
How long will it take for Universe Sandbox 2 to be finished?

No one knows, it'll be done when it's done.

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
I don't think that it will ever be finished. They are improving the speed and accuracy of the simulation and keep adding new features. I guess they will be finished when they run out of ideas.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »
I'd say the point in which we can consider it finished is when it exits Early Access. Of course, they'll add new stuff afterwards, but it will be probably refined and we should expect slower updates.

Mun1337

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 11:14:11 PM »
when ever will universe sandbox 3 realese? in 2045?

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 06:41:54 AM »
They said they have no plans for a Universe Sandbox 3. They just want to keep making Universe Sandbox ² better and better.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »
Is Universe Sandbox 2 still in "early access"?

I hope that Universe Sandbox 3 will come out because I want the developers to add better graphics. If possible, I hope that they can improve the graphics like in Space Engine into Universe Sandbox 2.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 10:08:09 PM »
And I want a computer with infinite computing power... devs can you make one of those for me please?

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »

I hope that Universe Sandbox 3 will come out because I want the developers to add better graphics. If possible, I hope that they can improve the graphics like in Space Engine into Universe Sandbox 2.

never gonna happen because you said this:

Space Engine runs on an engine called OpenGL

that's dead wrong, the official SpaceEngine FAQ says this:
Q: What engine does SpaceEngine use?
A: SpaceEngine does not use any pre-existing engine, everything was created from scratch.

Also, we cant use this engine for Universe Sandbox 3 because this:

Q: Is there a SpaceEngine SDK? Can I use the engine to make my own game?
A: Not currently. The engine is still very much in development and will require a lot of work before it is completed. However, after the engine is completed it will be possible to use it for your own project.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:15:16 AM by Jar »

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »
I hope that future versions of Unity will make it possible for Universe Sandbox 2 to have realistic graphics like Space Engine. I know that Space Engine uses OpenGL. However, I hope that future versions of Unity will be as good as OpenGL is today.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »

never gonna happen because you said this:

Space Engine runs on an engine called OpenGL

that's dead wrong, the official SpaceEngine FAQ says this:
Q: What engine does SpaceEngine use?
A: SpaceEngine does not use any pre-existing engine, everything was created from scratch.

Also, we cant use this engine for Universe Sandbox 3 because this:

Q: Is there a SpaceEngine SDK? Can I use the engine to make my own game?
A: Not currently. The engine is still very much in development and will require a lot of work before it is completed. However, after the engine is completed it will be possible to use it for your own project.

Dude why do you always write in such huge font and crazy colors
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:16:13 AM by Jar »

RickestZed

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 08:27:03 AM »
Alright, I just created this acc for this:

I havent actually played the game yet, but I have watched some videos on yt, and heres what I think should be done:

-Introduce relativity
-Make collisions more realistic (parts of plantes breaking apart and stuff)

Il add more, once I get my hands on that game

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »
-Introduce relativity

Unfortunately, this probably won't happen, as the calculations involved in relativity are so complex you'd need the best supercomputer in the world to get 0.001 frames per second. I'm not joking. Relativity is insanely hard to compute for a pc. They can show effects of relativity by faking it, but they likely won't be able to actually implement the real thing for at least decades...

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »
I do agree with you. Collisions are not realistic at the moment. When collisions occur, there should be tonnes of fragments breaking up into space. The problem is that most fragments disappear or turn into a ball when they are below 100 KM radius. Developer must update and improve collisions as soon as they can.

In addition to collision improvement is the improvement of graphics which would be the key improvement to making Universe Sandbox 2 much better. Developers must update and improve all the graphics of planets, gas giants, stars and human sized objects in Universe Sandbox 2 to make them look like real objects.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »
I hope that future versions of Unity will make it possible for Universe Sandbox 2 to have realistic graphics like Space Engine. I know that Space Engine uses OpenGL. However, I hope that future versions of Unity will be as good as OpenGL is today.

SPACE ENGINE DOESNT RUN ON OpenGL, IT DOESNT USE ANY PRE-EXISTING ENGINE, ITS CUSTOM BUILT! ITS EVEN STATED IN THE FAQ!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:14:03 AM by Jar »