Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox 3  (Read 184880 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Re: Universe Sandbox 3
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
I understand. Please stop spamming.

electricpants

• Is it bad that I like ammonia planets better?
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »
2 things.

1: You clearly don't understand that SE isn't run on OpenGL, as you literally said in your next post that you "know it's run on OpenGL".

2: He's not spamming. He's just telling you that you are wrong.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »
2 things.

1: You clearly don't understand that SE isn't run on OpenGL, as you literally said in your next post that you "know it's run on OpenGL".

2: He's not spamming. He's just telling you that you are wrong.

I have to agree here. Cesare is a threat to this forum.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:57 PM »
I do understand that Space engine runs on OpenGL.

Please don't say to me that I threaten you or this post. I never threaten anyone, but just give suggestions. Sometimes I may be wrong just like anyone could, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »
I do understand that Space engine runs on OpenGL.

Please don't say to me that I threaten you or this post. I never threaten anyone, but just give suggestions. Sometimes I may be wrong just like anyone could, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Here, look at this damm SpaceEngine FAQ:

http://spaceengine.org/manual/faq/

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
I already read it.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
I already read it.

Then why you say SpaceEngine runs in OpenGL if you saw the damm FAQ? AND THE FAQ SAYS IT RUNS ON A CUSTOM ENGINE?!

electricpants

• Is it bad that I like ammonia planets better?
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
so please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, the problem with you is that you either ignore people who say you're wrong or you say they're spamming, so it's not like we have the ability to correct you since you clearly don't care about what others have to say.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »
I do care about what people say. You are correct. I got it wrong.

Hydro7

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 05:32:20 AM »
I am sorry, but this is painful. I made an account on this website just to contribute to this conversation. Sorry for the bump.

First, lets get the technicalities right. OpenGL is NOT an engine. It is an API for rendering graphics. DirectX is also an API for rendering graphics. These two are the most common graphics APIs used today.  You build game engines using these APIs. Example: The battlefield series uses the Frostbite engine, which rendered with DirectX. Unity3D can use either DirectX or OpenGL as the rendering method.

Gurren Lagann TSS and electricpants: Do some fact checking before abusing your caps lock and using pretty colors and formatting to gang up on Cesare. Taken from the wikipedia page of space engine: "The engine uses OpenGL as its graphical API and uses shaders written in GLSL." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceEngine
So yes, space engine does NOT use any pre-existing engine, it is built from scratch... using OpenGL.

So yes, Cesare was half-right,  SE does use OpenGL, but OpenGL is not an engine, its an API.
Now, to answer your original question: Unity is an advanced engine nowadays, and you can definitely perform graphics updates on this game, given developers with enough time and money on their hands. You see, what you must understand is that it difficult to perform such a feat.

I very much identify with your feelings on the subject, I also wish for there to be very detailed planets and complex collision simulations, but even the current game is impressive in its scale. Adding all that will slow most PC's to a crawl and will need to be optimized very smartly to make it practical. Space engine was built from the ground up specifically to render beautiful environments. Universe Sandbox was built with the intentions of accurate physics simulations. Your demands are above and beyond the current technical and budget limitations of the team. If development continues, it may happen down the road.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 07:06:56 AM »
I did not know that OpenGL and Unity 3D were APIs rather than game engines. Thanks for explaining this to me in details.

However, I would like to see better graphics for Universe Sandbox 2. I think that it is possible for developers to intelligently optimize the graphics in a way that does not slow down computers.

Developers once said on their 2017 roadmap that they were going to improve the graphics when landing on planets surfaces.

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
Hydro7, thanks for a great explanation of API's, game engines and so on. Much appreciated.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »
I am sorry, but this is painful. I made an account on this website just to contribute to this conversation. Sorry for the bump.

First, lets get the technicalities right. OpenGL is NOT an engine. It is an API for rendering graphics. DirectX is also an API for rendering graphics. These two are the most common graphics APIs used today.  You build game engines using these APIs. Example: The battlefield series uses the Frostbite engine, which rendered with DirectX. Unity3D can use either DirectX or OpenGL as the rendering method.

Gurren Lagann TSS and electricpants: Do some fact checking before abusing your caps lock and using pretty colors and formatting to gang up on Cesare. Taken from the wikipedia page of space engine: "The engine uses OpenGL as its graphical API and uses shaders written in GLSL." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceEngine
So yes, space engine does NOT use any pre-existing engine, it is built from scratch... using OpenGL.

So yes, Cesare was half-right,  SE does use OpenGL, but OpenGL is not an engine, its an API.
Now, to answer your original question: Unity is an advanced engine nowadays, and you can definitely perform graphics updates on this game, given developers with enough time and money on their hands. You see, what you must understand is that it difficult to perform such a feat.

I very much identify with your feelings on the subject, I also wish for there to be very detailed planets and complex collision simulations, but even the current game is impressive in its scale. Adding all that will slow most PC's to a crawl and will need to be optimized very smartly to make it practical. Space engine was built from the ground up specifically to render beautiful environments. Universe Sandbox was built with the intentions of accurate physics simulations. Your demands are above and beyond the current technical and budget limitations of the team. If development continues, it may happen down the road.

One thing: Wikipedia is not a reliable source ok? So i still think that Cesare is 100% wrong.

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »
Gurren Lagann TSS: Some quick googling (this was my first hit) would tell you that the Wikipedia information is right: Space Engine does indeed use OpenGL. And with that out of the way, Hydro7's points stand.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
Gurren Lagann TSS: Some quick googling (this was my first hit) would tell you that the Wikipedia information is right: Space Engine does indeed use OpenGL. And with that out of the way, Hydro7's points stand.

Ok then... But i will never trust Cesare even in 100 trillion years

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »
Whether you trust me or not I don't care.

However, Wikipedia is correct about OpenGL and Unity3D. No doubt about that!