Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Default Earth in Universe Sandbox 2 from Add Planets Category  (Read 6633 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
There is an Earth bug in Universe Sandbox 2 that was there for a very long time since Alpha 0, which has never ever been fixed ever since today. Let me explain the problem to you in full details.

All following images are created with "Universe Sandbox 2".

When adding the default Earth into a new simulation from the (Add button) Planets category, the continents have a strange appearance that some of the Earth's oceans have been drained away. Australia and New Guinea are connected by land because the sea level is too low. That is not suppose to happen. The Gulf of Mexico, has area where the sea has retreated and other areas where the sea level is too high, like in Florida. England and France has distorted shapes and the sea level is too high in some areas and too low in others.

These are ocean level elevation errors and bugs that has long existed for the Earth in Universe Sandbox 2 since, Alpha 0, which has never been fixed.

Universe Sandbox 2 has plenty of bugs like this which must be fixed as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:30:22 AM by Cesare »

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Re: [BUG] Default Earth in Universe Sandbox 2 from Add Planets Category
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
Soon Update 21 will be released. I hope that the Earth gets a new and better texture that will fix elevation problems when flood water is located and other areas where the oceans have retreated. This Earth glitch really bothers me and may also cause problems for students learning geography of Earth's map. Students learning geography of Earth's map, learn how the Earth is today, so having a glitched map causes problems and confusion for students.

Please fix the problem for Earth's map and its poor texture. The Earth in "Universe Sandbox 1" does not have this problem. The shape and elevation of all the Earth's land and oceans are just perfect. Take a good look for yourself and make the comparison between the Universe Sandbox 1 Earth and Universe Sandbox 2 Earth.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:45:56 AM by Cesare »

unclejoeussr

• Leader of the Soviet Union
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »
Stop bumping all of your ancient threads!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:06:48 AM »
This is a big issue that must be fixed. It's not a joke.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
 Universe Sandbox 1 Earth doesn't have that problem because you can't change the sea level program, there is no height map,  just a color map with a static sea component,  the reason  the coasts  are distorted is because the sea level is right between values where it would normally be a sharp line,  making the program "confused"  and giving effects like this,  it's not that big an issue,  I don't think any students are using this program to learn geography when  that is not the point of this program whatsoever. The point of this program is to simulate astrophysical phenomenon.  I mean,  it shouldn't look completely different if it's meant to be Earth,  but it doesn't have to be perfectly exact either,  just as long as you can recognize it as  Earth,   which you obviously do,  so there should be no issue here. The devs will fix it eventually,  I'm sure, but that will probably happen when they know they won't have to change the system that it's based on. That might happen when we can change the textures of planets ourselves,  like in Universe Sandbox 1,  while still keeping heightmap system so that we can change the sea level.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
Its good that you understand what I mean here. I hope that the developers fix the problem with the height map and jagged lines. Adding an anti aliasing system would make the textures sharper and reduce the problem with the height map. I should be a sharp line between the levels where the sea and land meet to form the coastlines. The sea levels should not be between values. Both the sea and land should have their own separate values to avoid height map overlapping.

I personally think that is a big issue because Earth in Universe Sandbox 2 should look and behave in a normal way, just like all other solar system planets and moons.

I personally think that developers should improve and update all the textures for all the planets and moons in our solar system to make them look like the real photos taken by NASA.

Also, Universe Sandbox 2 should update their engine to the very latest version of Unity 3D 2018.

unclejoeussr

• Leader of the Soviet Union
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:46:02 AM »
I personally think that developers should improve and update all the textures for all the planets and moons in our solar system to make them look like the real photos taken by NASA.

Also, Universe Sandbox 2 should update their engine to the very latest version of Unity 3D 2018.
Woah one thing at a time man, lets fix the bugs first and then lets add some more depth to the simulation before we do anything with graphics.

Yes pretty graphics are nice, but its not necessary for a simulation, as long as there not hideous (which there not) its fine.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
Yes, of course, lets fix the bugs first, but take in mind that Universe Sandbox 2 needs better graphics, better textures and more sharpness.