Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stellar evolution  (Read 3222 times)

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
Stellar evolution
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
Yo guys. I have a few questions. Firstly, I am no able to create stars larger than 1.25M sun. After that point, they just blow up. Which sucks because I want to do experiments by creating my own stars and planets. Secondly, what's going on with extremely luminous stars? I create them and they don't act like they should. They don't burst periodically and release massive amounts of gas into space. The radiation pressure from the inside with those should do it periodically. On the other hand, extremely hot and therefore luminous planets act like hypergiants. They suddenly become A LOT brighter and release huge cloud of hydrogen to space, enough to turn the Moon next to them into 20M earth gas planet. Will this issue be dealt with when the devs release the new stellar evolution model?

yasir7724

Re: Stellar evolution
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
I don't think it is, but if it's possible, please tell me. :) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

_____
vital

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
Re: Stellar evolution
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
These issues will certainly be dealt with once the new stellar evolution model is released. Currently, the hard limit to how massive a star can be before automatically going supernova is 11.5 solar masses and it should be the same for everyone. It's a flaw with the current model. The only way to make a more massive star is to turn off the "Radius From Composition" button and then up its mass, at which point the star is no longer a realistic representation.

If you spawn a star like R136a1, turn off "Radius From Composition" and then change its mass to 1000 solar masses, it will not explode. However, at the same time, stars as big as this are not realistically modelled in the first place.