Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Converting some fragments to bodies nearly crashes computer.  (Read 4389 times)

scruffygamer

Converting some fragments to bodies nearly crashes computer.
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
Converting some fragments to bodies nearly crashed my computer.

I don't know if there is a fix to this or not.

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
Re: Converting some fragments to bodies nearly crashes computer.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »
How many did you try to convert at once? I also experience spikes of lag when doing this, but the game had crashed once when I tried to convert huge amount of fragments to objects.

scruffygamer

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »
How many did you try to convert at once? I also experience spikes of lag when doing this, but the game had crashed once when I tried to convert huge amount of fragments to objects.

I was curious and converted all those clouds about the mass of Jupiter in the 1A (or whatever it's called) supernova simulation where it has just enough to make the star supernova.

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:45 AM »

I was curious and converted all those clouds about the mass of Jupiter in the 1A (or whatever it's called) supernova simulation where it has just enough to make the star supernova.
Yeah, my computer slows down dramatically if I try to convert that many fragments into actual bodies at the same time too. I don't think this is a bug in the game, but perhaps there is a way to for the devs to make it so that the conversion is not too heavy on some devices.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, converting a lot of fragments can definitely hurt performance a lot, both during the actual conversion process and then once they're full bodies, due to the increased load of physics calculations for that number of bodies.

I don't believe there's a "fix" for this, but it may be a good idea to offer a warning message that this may cause performance issues.

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, converting a lot of fragments can definitely hurt performance a lot, both during the actual conversion process and then once they're full bodies, due to the increased load of physics calculations for that number of bodies.

I don't believe there's a "fix" for this, but it may be a good idea to offer a warning message that this may cause performance issues.
That'll be nice. A warning message would be a good feature.