Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making planets go faster  (Read 2818 times)

Buckethead

Making planets go faster
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
I need to get some planets in the outer part of a solar system to orbit faster (as if gravity were greater for them) while allowing inner planets to remain unchanged.  In other words defeat the physics calculations or do some kind of trick.  Is this possible?

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
Re: Making planets go faster
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »
One way to do this is to make the object it is orbiting around more massive. The more mass the orbital parent has, the faster an object has to move around it to maintain its orbit. I don't think there is a way to increase solely an object's speed and still have it occupy the same orbit. However, if you make the orbital parent more massive, orbital speeds will increase for every object in the system. :-\

Alternatively, if you don't mind the outer planet's orbit being elliptical, you can increase the eccentricity. It will have the greatest speed when it is closest to the star in an eccentric orbit.

But otherwise, there's not really a way to break physics to that extent yet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:24:56 PM by SyzygyΣE »

Buckethead

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:18:08 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer.  Increasing the mass occurred to me but of course that does change the speed of all objects and I need just the outer ones to go faster. 

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
You can't do it irl so you can't do it here. If you don't mind me asking why do you want to have the outside planets being faster? I can't think of any book or film where that is the case

yasir7724

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »
I don't think it is, but if it's possible, please tell me. :)

_____
vital