Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Zeta Reticuli  (Read 4312 times)

Luke27262

Zeta Reticuli
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:41:42 AM »
Whilst researching stories about Alien abductions. I quickly came across the stories of Barney and Betty Hill. The story came out to me as one of the most interesting because it pointed a possible location of Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life. The system that was described was Zeta Reticuli which is a binary system. For this deviation, we'll just call it Zeta System. I plopped up Universe Sandbox 2 and decided to accurately recreate the system, word for word. I charted up the habitable zones for a planet. Earth-sized planets were doomed, so I ended up making a earth-like planet that was 10 Jupiters that could show signs of life. I was incredibly interested in it due to it being the only planet that could complete a full rotation around both stars whilst maintaining a degree of 25c and only experienced a slight increase to 35c when it reached mid-rotation both times. I included the back of the planet and the stars along with the front of the planet because why the hell not.

http://i.imgur.com/doOidHw.png

((Too big to post here.))

I hope with the extra-terrestrial update. I can see if alien life will flourish there.

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
Re: Zeta Reticuli
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:02:08 AM »
I like the idea, but anything with 10 masses of Jupiter will almost certainly collect a tremendous amount of gas and become a very massive gas giant. You can make it rocky in Universe Sandbox because you can alter its properties. Such a massive planet is unlikely to be rocky in the real world. While life on gas giants isn't impossible, there would be no solid ground for an advanced civilisation to develop. In other words, organisms will most likely appear as microbes floating among the clouds.

In the context of life development, a 25°C to 35°C jump for a single orbit is absolutely massive and is not favourable for life. The surface temperature reading in the game is misleading because it shows average temperature. If 35°C is the average temperature on that planet for a portion of its orbit, certain areas could reach beyond 60°C. The average temperature on Earth is about 15°C, and this fluctuates by less than 1°C in 1 complete orbit around the sun. This little fluctuation still results in great temperature differences from the northern to southern hemisphere, so a 10°C fluctuation on that planet is not a good sign because it means many, many times the temperature differences we get on Earth.

The most suitable masses for planets where a civilisation may thrive, based on our current understanding, is about 2 Earth masses.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:10:35 AM by SyzygyΣE »

Luke27262

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:09:49 AM »
I like the idea, but anything with 10 masses of Jupiter will almost certainly collect a tremendous amount of gas and become a very massive gas giant. You can make it rocky in Universe Sandbox because you can alter its properties. Such a massive planet is unlikely to be rocky in the real world. While life on gas giants isn't impossible, there would be no solid ground for an advanced civilisation to develop. In other words, organisms will most likely appear as microbes floating among the clouds.

In the context of life development, a 25°C to 35°C jump for a single orbit is absolutely massive and is not favourable for life. The surface temperature reading in the game is misleading because it shows average temperature. If 35°C is the average temperature on that planet for a portion of its orbit, certain areas could reach beyond 60°C. The average temperature on Earth is about 15°C, and this fluctuates by less than 1°C in 1 complete orbit around the sun. This little fluctuation still results in great temperature differences from the northern to southern hemisphere, so a 10°C fluctuation on that planet is not a good sign, unfortunately.

The most suitable masses for planets where a civilisation may thrive, based on our current understanding, is about 2 Earth masses.

Could you show me a try yourself on the Zeta system?

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:11:32 AM »

In the context of life development, a 25°C to 35°C jump for a single orbit is absolutely massive and is not favourable for life. The surface temperature reading in the game is misleading because it shows average temperature. If 35°C is the average temperature on that planet for a portion of its orbit, certain areas could reach beyond 60°C. The average temperature on Earth is about 15°C, and this fluctuates by less than 1°C in 1 complete orbit around the sun. This little fluctuation still results in great temperature differences from the northern to southern hemisphere, so a 10°C fluctuation on that planet is not a good sign, unfortunately.

Would you like me to design you a binary star system with a habitable planet? The real life Zeta system has the two stars apart by 3750 AU, which is absolutely tremendous. The distance from the Sun to Neptune is about 30 AU. If you want me to create a realistic representation, I could give it a go.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:16:36 AM by SyzygyΣE »

Luke27262

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »

Would you like me to design you a binary star system with a habitable planet? The real life Zeta system has the two stars apart by 3750 AU, which is absolutely tremendous. The distance from the Sun to Neptune is about 30 AU. If you want me to create a realistic representation, I could give it a go.

Yeah please. I'd appreciate that greatly. I tried to design a beautiful planet. ;) But I'm looking forward to see what you could do! Maybe you could create a full binary system?

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »

Yeah please. I'd appreciate that greatly. I tried to design a beautiful planet. ;) But I'm looking forward to see what you could do! Maybe you could create a full binary system?
A worldbuilder like myself is always happy to help. ;D

Making a full Zeta Reticuli will take a few days at least, and I'm working on another separate system right now. Would you be happy with a binary system I designed a month or so back? It is called Sorr, and also includes a number of habitable planets.

If you are interested in designing and posting your own systems, I suggest using this thread: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,15415.90.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:54:31 PM by SyzygyΣE »

Luke27262

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »

A worldbuilder like myself is always happy to help. ;D

Making a full Zeta Reticuli will take a few days at least, and I'm working on another separate system right now. Would you be happy with a binary system I designed a month or so back? It is called Sorr, and also includes a number of habitable planets.

If you are interested in designing and posting your own systems, I suggest using this thread: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,15415.90.html

Ooo. This looks most impressive. I can't wait to post some of my systems. :D