Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very bad lag and low fps  (Read 6512 times)

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
Very bad lag and low fps
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
Hey guys. I've used Universe Sandbox 2 for a long time and now when I launched it for the first time in months, I received huge lag and fps was 10-13. It has worked well previously, with that kind of fps present only when simulating thousands of particles at once, and this time I had just started on creating a star, so only 2 planetary objects.... This is weird considering my PC has i7-6800k at 4.1GHz, GTX 1080 SLI at 2GHz and 64GB DDR4 at 2800MHz....

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
Re: Very bad lag and low fps
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:53:57 PM »
Hey guys. I've used Universe Sandbox 2 for a long time and now when I launched it for the first time in months, I received huge lag and fps was 10-13. It has worked well previously, with that kind of fps present only when simulating thousands of particles at once, and this time I had just started on creating a star, so only 2 planetary objects.... This is weird considering my PC has i7-6800k at 4.1GHz, GTX 1080 SLI at 2GHz and 64GB DDR4 at 2800MHz....
That is certainly most strange. My specs are far inferior and I can still run it at 30 FPS. Have you tried to toggle the graphics and other settings to see if it makes any difference?

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:59:30 AM »
No effect. I just tested it further. It seems the bug happens when creating a star, otherwise it works fine. Terraforming Mars, creating binary system for terraformed planets etc. That is a problem tho because I like to create stars on the game and previously I have been able to do that. Perhaps the problem is solved by brute forcing? :D It seems to me as if a certain circumstance causes a logic loop or stuff gets stuck on the pipeline of the CPU itself. I'll have to see once my Ryzen R9 1950X 16 core arrives along with 128GB RAM. I have to wait a bit longer for Volta Titans tho :/

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:22:22 AM »
No effect. I just tested it further. It seems the bug happens when creating a star, otherwise it works fine. Terraforming Mars, creating binary system for terraformed planets etc. That is a problem tho because I like to create stars on the game and previously I have been able to do that. Perhaps the problem is solved by brute forcing? :D It seems to me as if a certain circumstance causes a logic loop or stuff gets stuck on the pipeline of the CPU itself. I'll have to see once my Ryzen R9 1950X 16 core arrives along with 128GB RAM. I have to wait a bit longer for Volta Titans tho :/
Good to see you've been able to find a likely cause. If creating a star triggers this problem, the actual trigger leading to it should display in your Player.log. If you send your Player.log file to the devs via this email, they may be able to do something about it. Perhaps try that before brute forcing it.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »
Does sound pretty odd that stars would cause that much of a performance hit. Do you notice it in the default solar system simulation which loads on startup?

You can press alt+F to show the in-game FPS at the top of the screen. When exactly do you see it drop? If you create a new simulation and add a star, does the FPS instantly drop?